PDA

View Full Version : How can I get MS Office for free?

usingmac
12-08-2014, 02:36 AM
Don't know if this is the forum to ask in, but we just got a new Dell laptop and it doesn't come with Office. I read somewhere that you can use it for free with an online version but I need some advice. Any help appreciated.

chscag
12-08-2014, 03:15 AM
MS Office is not free. Neither the PC nor Mac versions are free. What you might have heard is that there is a limited version which is sort of free that can be used on an iPad and iPhone, however, it's very limited in what it can do. In order to get full capability, you have to subscribe $$ to Office 365. If you need any further information, suggest going directly to the MS Office forums on their server.

LancashireArrow
12-08-2014, 05:43 AM
The web version of Office 365 is indeed free for basic editing of documents. You need to run it in a web browser, and it works well on PC and Mac.

Go here .. https://products.office.com/en-us/compare-microsoft-office-products

Choose "office online".

chas_m
12-08-2014, 06:45 AM
LancashireArrow is correct. Charlie's information WAS correct, but due to demand Microsoft changed their position and pro-rated people who subscribed. Basic editing functionality is now available for the iPhone, iPad and web version of Office.

Microsoft updates iOS Office, adds free document editing and creation | Electronista (http://www.electronista.com/articles/14/11/06/basic.editing.now.open.to.users.without.office.365 .subscriptions/)

chscag
12-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Our thanks to members "LancashireArrow" and "chas_m" for the updated information regarding the web and iOS version of MS Office.

usingmac
12-08-2014, 02:20 PM
So to clarify: I CAN get Office online for free?
Does anyone know the limitations?

chscag
12-08-2014, 02:29 PM
According to the updated information provided (above) you can get the web version of Office for free. Did you read the links that appear in those posts? They give you some idea of what you can do with the free version. I would not expect the free version to work and have the same capability that the paid for Mac Office 2011 or PC Office 2013 have as far as creating and editing. Again, check with the Microsoft instructions.

ankhseeker
12-08-2014, 04:15 PM
set up a "fundme" acct and get donations to buy it, or have a friend buy it. Either way for free.

Exodist
12-08-2014, 04:47 PM
The Free account should be all most home and school users would ever need.

vansmith
12-08-2014, 06:36 PM
As someone who uses the free version on a regular basis as a complement to my installed copy, it gets the job done...98% of the time. Once in a blue moon, there's some weird formatting issues but it still renders most Word, Powerpoint and Excel documents like a charm. It also auto-saves everything to a OneDrive account and has a Time Machine style backup system in place.

Honestly, you get me started on the Office/OneDrive combination and I won't be able to stop talking about how it is a great example of how to do a cloud based solution right (to be fair, if you're an iWork user, iCloud/iWork probably gives it a run for its money).

usingmac
12-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys! I'm excited to try it. Will keep you posted. :)

usingmac
12-11-2014, 12:27 AM
Been trying it- kind of annoying, especially with Windows 8. How do I get around this problem: I want to open a Word document but I can't because I don't have Word. How do I get it open with my Online version? Is it just opening the online Word and going to "Open"? The problem is I can't even see where stuff is getting saved (I emailed a Word document to myself then downloaded it)!

johnodd4
12-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Ok i can solve this easy.

Install libreoffice its free and writes word documents there is also other alternatives like purchasing a older version of office you know office 97 office 95 office 2000 that doesn't require product activation after all its just a word processor who cares what version its from when microsoft will still open older files

Rod Sprague
12-11-2014, 01:37 AM
Another alternative is OpenOffice, you can open Word docs including docx. This is truely an excellent set of open source apps caperble of doing anything Microsoft Office can do and all documents can be saved as Microsoft versions. you can get it from the developers here;
Apache OpenOffice - The Free and Open Productivity Suite (http://www.openoffice.org/?lang=en-US)

chscag
12-11-2014, 03:07 AM
Been trying it- kind of annoying, especially with Windows 8. How do I get around this problem: I want to open a Word document but I can't because I don't have Word. How do I get it open with my Online version? Is it just opening the online Word and going to "Open"? The problem is I can't even see where stuff is getting saved (I emailed a Word document to myself then downloaded it)!

You need to learn how to use the free on line version first. Documents are stored and/or uploaded to the cloud. The cloud in this case is Microsoft's "OneDrive" which is free. Install OneDrive on your computer and then place your Word, Excel, and Powerpoint documents there for edit and save.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you must have an account with Microsoft in order to download and use OneDrive. The account is free.

RobNJ
12-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Ok i can solve this easy.

Install libreoffice its free and writes word documents there is also other alternatives like purchasing a older version of office you know office 97 office 95 office 2000 that doesn't require product activation after all its just a word processor who cares what version its from when microsoft will still open older files

I've been using LibreOffice, since they split off from OpenOffice. I'm pleased with it's capabilities.

Quietone
12-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Hi everyone! I hope it's OK to jump in here; I've been using OpenOffice for many years, my main complaint about it is it crashes a lot. If LibreOffice is better, I'd gladly switch, but I don't know anything about it, except what johnodd4 said. It seems I had forgotten LibreOffice was once part of it. A couple of years ago I may've read something about that. If I hadn't peeked in here, I would've never remembered. Thanks.

usingmac
12-11-2014, 09:29 PM
I will try those options. In the meantime I have this obnoxious Microsoft Works that wants to keep getting in the way of my Word documents (this is my desktop now). Can't I just trash this piece of crap? Or will it harm my installation of Word? Also, can I get older versions of Word for free online? Lastly, if I have Word on another computer can't I just copy it or do I need some kind of special installation disk? Thanks!

chas_m
12-12-2014, 02:36 AM
I will try those options. In the meantime I have this obnoxious Microsoft Works that wants to keep getting in the way of my Word documents (this is my desktop now). Can't I just trash this piece of crap?

Yes, and you should! Read up on proper uninstall directions, however; it's not just dragging the program to the trash like most Mac programs, sadly.

Or will it harm my installation of Word?

If you uninstall it properly, no.

Also, can I get older versions of Word for free online?

No.

Lastly, if I have Word on another computer can't I just copy it or do I need some kind of special installation disk?

Each installation of Word requires its own license, so no.

tk369
12-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Just for giggles: i thought this forum was for MAC users! The dude has a new DELL!

Any Mouse
12-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Just another vote for LibreOffice. Works well on Mac and Linux Ubuntu.:Cool:

Jonzjob
12-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Don't know if this is the forum to ask in, but we just got a new Dell laptop and it doesn't come with Office. I read somewhere that you can use it for free with an online version but I need some advice. Any help appreciated.

I doubt that you would get the same reaction if you went onto a Microsoft forum and asked for answers about a MacBook??

Just goes to show what great guys are on here don't it!!

I use Open Office and it's great. Frequent updates and all for free!!

usingmac
12-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Just for giggles: i thought this forum was for MAC users! The dude has a new DELL!

FYI I'm a Mac guy. The Dell is my daughter's. People here are so knowledgeable and helpful that I brought my PC questions here.

Jonzjob
12-12-2014, 06:41 PM
I for ne wasn't knocking the question. Just making a comment about how great the guys are on here mate!!

Seriously. Open Office is well worth a long look for either/any OS

tk369
12-12-2014, 10:13 PM
FYI I'm a Mac guy. The Dell is my daughter's. People here are so knowledgeable and helpful that I brought my PC questions here.
little did i know. i'm a MAC guy. and i made sure my son was one too.

chscag
12-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Just for information sake...

We have very knowledgeable folks in our forums who are dual qualified: they use their Macs at home and PCs at work. We have an IT professional who works with PCs as a living as one of our staff. And several of our staff are professional programmers. ;D

usingmac
12-13-2014, 12:30 AM
I realized that if I uninstall Works, I have some files in that format that wouldn't open. Is there another way to open them after I trash this stupid program? The reason I hate it is because it forces itself on you. You have to choose to save in Word and then it still creates a Works version. Lately, it won't even let me save in Word. Seems like I am, but then when I try to open the Word version of the document the computer claims it can't recognize it and then opens it in Works, and with a weird file name to boot. What's going on? I think this program came automatically with my 64 bit Vista.

usingmac
12-13-2014, 12:30 AM
Just for information sake...

We have very knowledgeable folks in our forums who are dual qualified: they use their Macs at home and PCs at work. We have an IT professional who works with PCs as a living as one of our staff. And several of our staff are professional programmers. ;D

:Cool:

Bazzra1714
12-13-2014, 06:17 AM
Why not try OpenOffice (it's free) or Libre Office (also free). Cheers.

rubaiyat
12-13-2014, 07:17 AM
Another vote for LibreOffice [free], it opens and saves to just about every format, just has a rather crude User Interface by Mac standards.

At least it is getting improved steadily unlike the iWork suite which after being trashed by Apple is only getting minor and ever more incompatible "upgrades".

rubaiyat
12-13-2014, 07:20 AM
I for ne wasn't knocking the question. Just making a comment about how great the guys are on here mate!!

Seriously. Open Office is well worth a long look for either/any OS

Forget OpenOffice.

The Open project forked several years ago and the active, better fork is for LibreOffice.

LancashireArrow
12-13-2014, 09:28 AM
I've tried LibreOffice and iWorks as replacements but because I regularly have to edit documents with complex layouts, they both caused problems when I exported to MS formats and sent to colleagues. Formatting was different and I was forced to do the work again on several occasions in Office, so I ended up paying the £6 a month for 365.

This was earlier this year, so not too long ago.

If you edit documents or spreadsheets with simple layouts though, LibreOffice is more than sufficient.

usingmac
12-13-2014, 03:27 PM
I realized that if I uninstall Works, I have some files in that format that wouldn't open. Is there another way to open them after I trash this stupid program? The reason I hate it is because it forces itself on you. You have to choose to save in Word and then it still creates a Works version. Lately, it won't even let me save in Word. Seems like I am, but then when I try to open the Word version of the document the computer claims it can't recognize it and then opens it in Works, and with a weird file name to boot. What's going on? I think this program came automatically with my 64 bit Vista.

Can someone help me with this?

chscag
12-13-2014, 03:35 PM

One of the first things I did when buying a new PC was to remove the included MS Works program and replace it with my copy of MS Office. For some stupid reason, files saved with Works can not be opened with Office. The only thing I can suggest is before you uninstall Works, open the files you need and then save them as text (which Works will do). Once they're saved as text they can be opened with Word, either the Windows version or Mac version. The problem with doing it that way is you lose all formatting and graphics. That can be a pain especially if the document is lengthy and complex.

usingmac
12-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks for that. No real important documents to save, but can you explain what you mean by saving it as text?

chscag
12-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Open the document with Works then use the "Save As" option, select plain text, rename the document if you wish, and save it in your "My Documents" folder on your PC. The document will get saved with a *.txt extension. Then you can directly open it with Word, and save it as a *.doc or *.docx. Like I said though, you will lose document formatting. But if that isn't a problem, it's the easiest way to convert documents from Works to Word.

I don't know which version of Word you're using, but my Office for Windows 2010 has a filter in Word that can be installed which will automatically convert Works documents to Word. I don't remember which versions of Works it's for though. I'm using my Mac Office version now and no longer have the Windows version running.

PaulRanger1
12-13-2014, 07:51 PM
I've used Apache OpenOffice for many years on Mac without any problems. There are free versions for Windows 7, 8, 8.1, XP, etc.

AOO component programs are 'Writer', 'Calc', 'Impress', 'Draw', Base' and 'Math'. These directly parallel MS Office component programs e.g. Excel, Powerpoint etc.

I believe AOO will do everything that MS Office can do AND there is a free forum that users can ask any questions about using AOO on various platforms. To my knowledge, AOO will
open all MS file formats (.xls, .doc etc.) and will save files in those (and other) formats to allow full cross-software accessibility.

One point I make is that the AOO download should be taken from the Apache home site to ensure all components etc. are included and no adware etc. in secretly included in the download, such as apparently occurs with a download from CNET among others.
Visit <https://www.openoffice.org/> and investigate yourself.

Why pay for MS software when an equivalent or superior program is available for free.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards, PaulRanger 1.

rubaiyat
12-13-2014, 10:29 PM

LibreOffice (http://www.libreoffice.org/) will open just about anything.

Also try zamzar (http://www.zamzar.com/) which will convert just about anything to anything else.

usingmac
12-14-2014, 01:00 AM
I agree. Why pay when there's free stuff out there?
I am using the online MSO. Do you guys think Open Office is better then? Is that actually software you download onto your computer with folders you can keep stuff on your computer in? If so, I would prefer it to the online Office stuff. That stuff is too counter-intuitive. It's one of the reasons I find the ipad so annoying. I like to have folders where I can find everything in front of me.

rubaiyat
12-14-2014, 01:22 AM
Yes and don't trust the iPad or iCloud. Apple's forums are full of people asking where did my files go?

I just don't get how Apple can have the history it has then come up with such bewildering, malfunctioning and dangerous software.

LibreOffice not OpenOffice is better, but be aware that Open Source usually means aesthetics created by engineers and that only a mother could love. :)

Slydude
12-14-2014, 01:27 AM
OpenOffice and its variants (LibreOffice etc) are programs that actually get installed on your machine. The one downside is that some documents, most likely those with complex formatting, do not translate properly when they are opened in Word. I personally can't comment on how often that happens.

usingmac
12-14-2014, 03:41 AM
And if I send someone a file created in Open Office they will be able to open it in Word ok, right?

rubaiyat
12-14-2014, 03:45 AM
OpenOffice and LibreOffice open and save in many formats including .doc/docx and the open formats, which Word also opens.

For long term storage and use I would put more faith in the open formats and the Open Source communities policy of making sure users work remains safe and usable.

Slydude
12-14-2014, 03:55 AM
And if I send someone a file created in Open Office they will be able to open it in Word ok, right?

Yes. I've done it numerous times. Use the Save As feature to choose whichever Word format the other person's version of Word can open. There are apparently some instances where documents with complex formatting does not open/display properly.

v1ral
12-15-2014, 01:19 PM
If you absolutely need Microsoft Office there's no way to get it free unless you see a student deal anywhere. But a long with people in the thread, you'll be better off with Open Office. Fully compatible file system with Office.

vansmith
12-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Fully compatible file system with Office.Sort of. Any non-Office compatible suite is always going to be "almost there but not quite." I think it's important to keep this in mind especially if you use any of Office's more advanced features.

fmprdwg
12-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Bought new HP 17" laptop and Office came with it !:

Nickgsmith
12-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Why don't you try the free download of the equivalent of M.S. Office - OpenOffice.org Australia (http://www.openoffice.org.au) which gives you all you need - has the equivalent of EXCEL, WORD etc.

chscag
12-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Bought new HP 17" laptop and Office came with it !:

That's great. Hopefully, it's not a demo version but the full Office 2013 or 365 version subscription. You don't find too many computers pre-loaded with a registered version of Office any more.

chas_m
12-19-2014, 11:04 PM
For all those people who whine that there are occasionally minor formatting/layout issues when going from Open/LibreOffice or Pages to Word, I have to ask:

Have you ever moved a document from a years-old copy of Word to a new copy of Word? On the same platform?

I once had a very lucrative job "translating" a book written in Word 6 (yes, this was a long time ago), but the publisher had Word 7 and guess what ... the formatting was *completely* messed up across a 700-page book.

(The publisher in question eventually took my advice and forbade any layout in Word -- text only, with author-generated "suggested" layouts made in a genuine layout program or described in text ...)

chscag
12-19-2014, 11:07 PM
Anyone writing a book or a dissertation shouldn't be using Word anyway. Word is probably the choice of the legal profession but certainly not for writers. Scrivener is best for that.

Exodist
12-23-2014, 10:28 AM
iBooks Author.. LOL..

I keep everything in TEXT format..

fortmeyer
02-08-2015, 12:20 AM
For those of you who want Office 2011 for mac without breaking the bank, I got mine at a very reasonable price ($75) on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FIBBYBU
Amazon.com: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2011 - Mac [Digital Download] (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F2921FQ)

dbm
02-23-2015, 10:58 AM
A friend of mine is considering moving to a Mac, but they would need Office as they use it for work (self employed) and need to send document to customers with confidence (OpenOffice etc are not enough to give that confidence).

You used to be able to get a demo instance of Office fairly easily, but I can't see any easy way of doing this in the App Store or on MS's site? Any suggestions for where to get it from? I offered to install the demo version on my Mac so my friend can see what he would be working with. He isn't very technical so it would need a high fidelity to the PC version for him to be comfortable making the move.

Slydude
02-23-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure there is a free trial for Office 2011 for Mac anymore. There is currently a one month trial of the Office 365 (https://products.office.com/en-us/try) suite which exists for both Mac and PC.

chscag
02-23-2015, 05:13 PM
@dbm:

The one month trial offer that "Slydude" mentioned above includes a copy of Mac Office 2011. He should be able to get a good idea from the trial version. And since MS has stated that Mac Office 2015 is delayed until around the last quarter of this year, that's probably the best you can do for now.

Slydude
02-23-2015, 05:39 PM
That's good to know. I didn't notice that when I posted the suggestion. For most of my work things like Open Office or similar would be fine. the only reason I bought Office 2011 is I would like to revive some Macros that were written in previous versions of Office. They need to work cross platform.

dbm
02-23-2015, 05:39 PM
Cheers guys, I'll check that out.

Rod Sprague
02-23-2015, 11:50 PM
A friend of mine is considering moving to a Mac, but they would need Office as they use it for work (self employed) and need to send document to customers with confidence (OpenOffice etc are not enough to give that confidence).

You used to be able to get a demo instance of Office fairly easily, but I can't see any easy way of doing this in the App Store or on MS's site? Any suggestions for where to get it from? I offered to install the demo version on my Mac so my friend can see what he would be working with. He isn't very technical so it would need a high fidelity to the PC version for him to be comfortable making the move.

I don't think there is any way you can legally obtain MS Word free. Having said that if you can find someone who has purchased multiple licenses for the Office suite they may be willing to let your friend have one. e.g I purchased MS Office for Mac and paid for a family license that meant I was able to load it onto both my, my wife's and my son's computers. Each one has a separate CD Key code on the box.

PaulRanger1
02-24-2015, 03:23 AM
Why don't you try the free download of the equivalent of M.S. Office - OpenOffice.org Australia (http://www.openoffice.org.au) which gives you all you need - has the equivalent of EXCEL, WORD etc.

Hello dbm,

As member Nickgsmith suggests, why not try the free equivalent of MS Office from the official Apache OpenOffice download site.

This open source (free) software suite will do everything MS Office will do, will save files in MS file formats (.doc, xls, etc.) and has a very active user support forum online that you can join for any help you might need in transitioning to the liberating, non MS world.

If you or your friend are using a MS Windows based computer, why not download a free full version for Windows, to try it out in an environment you are currently familiar with.

I believe you will be amazed that such comprehensive software can be downloaded for free.

Sincerely, PaulRanger.

Slydude
02-24-2015, 03:48 AM
I thought member dbm covered that already in the beginning of post #53 above?

dbm
02-24-2015, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just looking for a demo license - this used to SOP for Office, but I've not looked at buying it for years.

My friend will only be comfortable with Office, unfortunately. He is not technically minded and needs to be able to produce documents to send to clients with confidence. With a demo install on my computer he can see what he would be working with before deciding to purchase a Mac.

Slydude
02-24-2015, 07:36 PM
Microsoft had a demo license available for quite some time after the initial release of Office 2011. I think they stopped it about the same time they rolled out Office 365.

Your friend might want to try the one month Office 365 demo. Microsoft is pushing Office 365 pretty hard as the solution now. It would not surprise me if that is where they are going with the future of Office for both Mac and PC a la Adobe's current model.

dbm
03-05-2015, 02:52 PM
Serendipitously, MS have a limited time offer to download Office for Mac:
Microsoft Office for Mac, Apple (http://products.office.com/en-US/mac/mac-preview)

ETA: Except it doesn't seem to be working at the moment; presumably oversubscribed.

lclev
03-05-2015, 03:00 PM
OP is correct. It is the demo of Office 2015 preview coming sometime in the second half of 2015.

I think I will wait for the full version and see what they are going to charge for it then decide. Office 2011 is fine for now.

Lisa

pigoo3
03-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Remember…this "free" download of Office is a preview. Each build of the app expires after 60 days. And the final build expires ~30 days after the official launch date. Then you have to purchase it.:)

- You also MUST be running Yosemite.
- Some features may not work…or work properly.

See the FAQ's:

Microsoft Office for Mac, Apple (http://products.office.com/en-US/mac/mac-preview#faq)

Basically Microsoft is turning folks that download this into beta testers of the software.;)

- Nick

vansmith
03-05-2015, 03:14 PM
One thing to note is that this can run alongside Office 2011. So, for those of you excited like I am about what MS has in store, you can run this and know that your working installation of 2011 will be fine.

chscag
03-05-2015, 03:32 PM
Being able to run it alongside Office 2011 is the only reason I'm downloading the Preview as I'm replying.... ;D

vansmith
03-05-2015, 05:32 PM
I started a while ago. I ran into some issues with dropped connections and failed starts but it's trucking along now. What a large download though - 2.66GB!

If this version is anything like the awesome version available for iOS, Office 2016 is going to further its lead over every other office suite on the market (all they need to add is a remote control from PowerPoint much like Apple has for Keynote and I'll completely abandon iWork).

chscag
03-05-2015, 06:01 PM
(all they need to add is a remote control from PowerPoint much like Apple has for Keynote and I'll completely abandon iWork).

Do you by chance have an Apple remote, either the older white one or the newer aluminum? I'm using my older white Apple remote with an inexpensive device that I purchased from www.TwistedMelon.com called "Mira". Since my iMac does not have an infra red receiver, the "Mira" allows signals from my Apple remote to be recognized. It attaches to your Mac via USB. It works with iTunes, Powerpoint, Keynote, and other apps.

vansmith
03-05-2015, 07:33 PM
I do have one but I rarely bring my Mac with me (I always use my iPad now for presentations since it's so much easier to transport).

chscag
03-05-2015, 10:06 PM
Well, so far the Office 2015 Preview looks good. Missing a lot of stuff to fluff it up which I assume MS will be adding later on as we get upgrades. I did some fast testing with Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. I didn't test Outlook as I have no need for it.

vansmith
03-05-2015, 11:04 PM
I really only fooled with Word today. The app feels like a much better "Mac app" (if that makes sense). It was a touch slow for me but I'm willing to put that up to the fact that it's an early testing release. MS seems to have pulled off the ribbon this time - it actually works and feels like an effective means of finding content and doesn't feel so out of place (I'm looking at you Office 2008 and 2011). One thing that I've noticed that's missing is the "find" sidebar. As much as that annoyed me, I liked being able to get a quick count and see the results that matched. As far as I can tell, you only get the find bar in the top right with no listing of results. I also learned, in fooling with the referencing functionality (I know that this isn't new but I figured this is a good a time as any to try it), that it doesn't do hanging indents....why?

harryb2448
03-06-2015, 12:46 AM
You guys are lucky to get the preview. Both Safari and Firefox will not download it so perhaps it is US customers only?

chscag
03-06-2015, 02:56 AM
It was a fairly large download Harry. Around 2.5 GB and installs as 5.3 GB. Includes Word, Powerpoint, Excel, OneNote, and a new version of Outlook. In order to install OneNote and Outlook, you need a "Live" (MS) account. (Which I already have.)

chas_m
03-06-2015, 03:16 AM
Actually the versions of OneNote and Outlook used in the suite were released a while back. Also its office 2016, not 2015.

Microsoft has already said that once the public beta is over, an Office 365 subscription will be mandatory, even if you don't plan on using those features specifically. OTOH, that would likely mean that the software itself is "free" (apart from the subscription) in download form. We'll find out this summer, I guess ...

chscag
03-06-2015, 03:04 PM
The correct "Office" name is 2016 as chas_m has stated. MS got off the 2015 name when they decided to deploy it later this year. My understanding (and I may be wrong) is that the suite will be sold separately aside from subscribing to Office 365.

chas_m
03-07-2015, 09:04 PM
I would guess that you are right, sir. However, the box version usually includes a "free" subscription to Office 365 for a year, so I believe that covers it either way.

Bill Gates Jr.
03-20-2015, 01:22 AM
Libre Office question? I decided to try Libre Office based on comments on this post. My text needs are quite simple and this works for me...so far. But, every time I shutdown my iMac, Libre offfice is gone from from my dock when I turn the iMac back on. Not sure if Libre Office is ending up in my applications folder. There is a Libre Office.App, but clicking it doesn't do anything. I am unfamiliar with Libre Office ...so help.

Bill Gates Jr.
03-20-2015, 01:38 AM
Okay. Libre Office is in Applications and it works. New question. Any way to keep from losing the Libre Office Icon in my dock when I shut down? Or can I keep a shortcut to the application on my desktop, if not my dock?

chscag
03-20-2015, 01:44 AM
When you open Libre Office and the icon appears on the dock, are you right clicking it and selecting "keep in dock"?

Rod Sprague
03-20-2015, 02:55 AM
Or alternatively go to Applications Folder, click on Libre Office hold the left click button down and drag the Application to the Dock. That will create a short cut to the app and you can place it anywhere on the Dock you like. This works for all applications.

Bill Gates Jr.
03-20-2015, 03:45 PM
chscag - Again you have come through. Could not give you thumbs up as forum says I have to spread it around first. Problem was Right click and left click same. Must have happened when Apple replaced my logic board. Then I remembered something I learned on this forum...and I'll be 71 in 10 days so that's something for me...about setting up the mouse. Did that. Right clicked and got Libre Office in the dock.
Do you know if Libre Office can print labels like WP and Word?
Rod Sprague - Didn't try out your suggestion because chscag's answer worked for me, but thanks for the suggestion.

chscag
03-20-2015, 08:00 PM
Do you know if Libre Office can print labels like WP and Word?

It should be able to. Although I've never used the word processor program from Libre Office, I would think you could create a custom template to do the label printing. You may even be able to use an Avery label template for Word and convert it for Libre use.

Slydude
03-20-2015, 08:44 PM
It should work. As chscag suggests try using one of the Avery label templates.

Bill Gates Jr.
03-20-2015, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try later.