Mouse buttons not working properly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina 15" (late 2013) 2.3Ghz, 16GB (1600Mhz) RAM, 512GB SSD
I have recently purchased a Wow Pen Joy corded vertical mouse with back and forward buttons. Image is at the following link
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31QP89ppowL.jpg

I am using operating system Apple OSX 10.10.1 Yosemite
However the back and forth buttons do not work for going back and forth in the browser. I tried multiple browsers and still no luck. The mouse works perfectly except for the back and forth buttons. The buttons work, but gives me a small circle with the ability to scroll up or down, similar to when I click on the scroll wheel. And when you click on a link with the back and forward buttons they open the link in a new window. This is great, but I rather them go back and forth. They do not work in a sense of going back and forward.

I think that the left and right buttons are not compatible with OSX.
Does anyone know how to fix it? I love the mouse. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Your best solution is to use a 3rd party mouse driver that can re-map your buttons to do anything you please. My personal preference is USB Overdrive, but there are others like SteerMouse.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much for that driver, however I am not sure what to do to get the 4th and 5th buttons (4th button should be back and 5th button should be forward) to get the 4th and 5th buttons to go back and forth pages in browsers. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thank you very much for that driver, however I am not sure what to do to get the 4th and 5th buttons (4th button should be back and 5th button should be forward) to get the 4th and 5th buttons to go back and forth pages in browsers. Any help would be appreciated.

You open the software's preference panel and tell it what you want the buttons to do. Bear in mind that "back" and "forward" are keyboard shortcuts in any given app and what USB Overdrive and the others do is pass those keyboard commands for you. You make global settings, or have the buttons act differently for specific apps. For example:

screenshot_48.jpg

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Lifeisabeach. That solved the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.