Mac OS 9.1 HELP

M

matt0413

Hi, I have an old PowerBook I am trying to get up and running with Mac OS 9.1. I turn it on and it loads OK, but when the desktop is loading it loads the hard drive on the desktop and highlights it, and basically freezes. I can still move the mouse but it won't click anything. If I boot with Extensions Off, it loads perfect. I don't have a boot CD, just the computer so I'm not sure what to do.. Any help would be appreciated!.
Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have not done this in a long time. You will need to find the extension that is causing your problem. As you have done before, boot the system with the extemsions off. Disable all of the extensions except for one. Then reboot your system. If your system comes up fine, then enable the next extension and reboot. Continue to do this until you find the extention that is causing the problem. Once you find the failing extention remove it.

OP
B

Badger

You can speed up the process by disabling (using Extension Manager) or removing several extensions at a time. If you remove 5 at a time until the problem stops you know the problem was in the last group removed. Then you can check each one separately. Just a hint, this often happens just after adding or updating a new extension. The first thing to check would be recent changes or additions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.