I'm a new Mac user; will Google's Chrome compromise my iMac's security

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a new iMac user. I just spent $2,000 on the largest iMac they make, the 27". I wanted to buy an iMac (or Apple product for that matter), because I read they are very very unlikely to get a virus.

I like Google's Chrome browser and I downloaded it to my iMac. Is it safe to use? Do I need any kind of AV software?

And if I didn't use Chrome, but used Safari instead, should I have some kind of AV software anyways? What about malware, adware, etc?

What kind of protection should I consider, if any?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
you don't need any AV

if yo plan on using Safari as your browser, goto safari on the menu bar, safari extensions, download and instal adblock plus and ghostery. I'm not sure if similar software exists for Chrome - perhaps someone else can help here.

then go to the safe mac and download and run this:

AdwareMedic

But finally, and most importantly just be careful on line. don't blindly follow links in websites, emails, etc or enter your admin password to install anything unless you're absolutely sure it's legitimate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi,
I'm a new iMac user. I just spent $2,000 on the largest iMac they make, the 27". I wanted to buy an iMac (or Apple product for that matter), because I read they are very very unlikely to get a virus.

I like Google's Chrome browser and I downloaded it to my iMac. Is it safe to use? Do I need any kind of AV software?

And if I didn't use Chrome, but used Safari instead, should I have some kind of AV software anyways? What about malware, adware, etc?

What kind of protection should I consider, if any?

Hello - my first advice is to NOT download any AV, malware, or 'cleaning' software (such as MacKeeper) until you first ask here - at the moment, there are no viruses in the wild that will affect your computer, however, there are other types of malware, including those that can certainly affect web browsers (regardless of which one is being used). I would suggest that you visit the 'Security Awareness' forum and look at the threads of interest; in particular, read this sticky Security Tips.

Next visit The Safe Mac website and read through the malware sections for a better understanding of malware and your iMac - download the Adware Medic tool in case of need in the future. In addition, a couple more links that might help: 1) Link 1; and 2) Link 2.

Now, as to using Chrome over Safari, just a personal choice - I use Safari and have several 'extensions' installed, i.e. Ghostery & AdBlock, which are recommended here. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you Nicky and Dave!! I am so new to using an Apple PC, I just don't know what to do! But now I have some ideas and good advice. Thank you so much!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac-Forums!

Which version of Chrome did you download? If you downloaded the 32 bit version, I recommend downloading the 64 bit version and installing it over the top of the 32 bit version. You won't lose any settings or bookmarks.

Read the following thread about the 64 bit version of Chrome. The thread also contains the download link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I use Chrome - not a Safari fan. I have Ghostery and Adblock Plus installed on Chrome and they work great. I do not run any antivirus and I have never had any issues with Chrome and malware. I do practice safe browsing by staying away from questionable sites.

You will have to download Chrome from Google. Then add Ghostery and Adblock as extensions.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As others advise:_

1. AdBlock Plus.
2. Ghostery.
3. AdwareMedic to remove all this pesky adware floating about. Quite a bit does seem associated with Google.
4. NEVER download anything from CNET or Softonic. They, like the AVAST antivirus, include adware in the package. You will notice this if your browser starts taking you to strange, repeated sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh the old story lawyers hunting for bucks and hijacking this thread.

If it wasn't for lawyers.....we wouldn't need lawyers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.