Contacts help

Reaction score
Hi,

For years everything has been fine......am on Version 10.9.5...I haven't done the Yosemite upgrade....so I think I'm on mountain something or Mavericks....recently I've noticed a lightning bolt symbol next to my contacts and synching problems...

I unchecked contacts in the iCloud menu and restarted....then it wouldn't re-check...so restarted again.....then it let me check the box but when I opened up contacts I had 4 iCloud accounts listed! So I deleted each one..signed out of iCloud again and restarted.... I tried again....this time I just have 1 iCloud account in my contacts all looks normal except again I have this lightning bolt symbol and a pop up said 'this Mac can't connect to iCloud because of a problem with xxx' xxx = my email address....

But I've never had a problem before...so how can a problem just start?

Please help!

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Have you upgraded to iCloud Drive on any of your iOS devices (assuming that you have any)?

That would be the most likely culprit in my mind as the implementation of iCloud seems different with the latest versions of the OS. If this was the problem then upgrading to Yosemite on your Mac would be the most expedient solution as Yosemite can access iCloud Drive but earlier versions can't.

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply.

I did upgrade my iphone the other day but was having this problem before that anyhow....

I've just got the iphone 6 but haven't been to the shop to do the sim switch yet...I don't know whether to try and sort this issue first or to sort the phone...upgrade the imac to Yosemite and then deal with it....

What do you think?

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd probably try to get a firm handle on the problem before upgrading your Mac. What hardware are you running, by the way?

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That Mac should be able to run Yosemite, but according to Apple's site it won't support many of the 'wow' features like Handoff.

To clarify your problem, can you access your iCloud contacts from any device at the moment? How about the iCloud website?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.