Photocast

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
Hi All,

According to Apple when you create a Photocast you can veiw with any browser capable of reading RSS on Windows or Mac. Well on my Windows box I have tried Mozilla, Firefox and Exploder, with no luck. I use Firefox with the Wizz RSS extension to read RSS feeds all the time, but all these browsers give me an error:

======================================================
We're Sorry
The browser you are using does not support the display of Photocasts.
You can view the photos in this Photocast with Safari RSS (included with Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger or later) or other photo-compatible RSS reader for Mac, Windows, and other operating systems. Copy the link below and bookmark or subscribe to it using your RSS reader so you can return to the photos in the future.
http://web.mac.com/gunnerjoe/iPhoto/danica/index.rss

So, other than Safari what browser can you use? What have they done to the RSS to make it not display in Firefox?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe

OP
gunnerjoe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
Found this on MACOSHINTS:

Subscribe to iPhoto 6 photocasts in Firefox via RSS
Mon, Jan 23 '06 at 06:33AM • from: davemak

You probably know that you can subscribe to an iPhoto 6 photocast even if you don't have iLife '06. If you use any of the more-recent versions of Safari (i.e., with RSS support), the link in the photocast announcement will work fine as is. But other browsers, even those with RSS support like Firefox, are taken to an error page. But fear not. The following procedure will allow Firefox users (even those on Windows, I think) to subscribe to an iPhoto 6 photocast:

1. In Firefox, go to Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks..., and then choose File -> New Live Bookmark. ("Live Bookmarks" are Firefox's way of abstracting RSS.)

2. Enter the photocast URL from the announcement, substituting web.mac.com for photocast.mac.com, e.g.:

http://web.mac.com/sjobs/iPhoto/my-awesome-photocast/index.rss

3. The titles of the photocast images will then appear in a submenu, either on your toolbar (if that's where you added the bookmark), or in your bookmarks menu. Selecting the images by title will display those images in the browser.

The key insight here is that photocast.mac.com is not the root of the actual RSS feed of the photocast. Instead, that server redirects Safari and iPhoto to the real RSS feed at web.mac.com. This corresponds to a folder under the top-level Web folder inside your iDisk, which contains the actual images and the index.rss file. Using the URL at web.mac.com allows other browsers that use the RSS standard to subscribe to the photocast.

[robg adds: This was also discussed in this hint about customizing the iPhoto 6 photocasting announcement.]

gunnerjoe said:
Hi All,

According to Apple when you create a Photocast you can veiw with any browser capable of reading RSS on Windows or Mac. Well on my Windows box I have tried Mozilla, Firefox and Exploder, with no luck. I use Firefox with the Wizz RSS extension to read RSS feeds all the time, but all these browsers give me an error:

We're Sorry
The browser you are using does not support the display of Photocasts.
You can view the photos in this Photocast with Safari RSS (included with Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger or later) or other photo-compatible RSS reader for Mac, Windows, and other operating systems. Copy the link below and bookmark or subscribe to it using your RSS reader so you can return to the photos in the future.
http://web.mac.com/gunnerjoe/iPhoto/danica/index.rss

So, other than Safari what browser can you use? What have they done to the RSS to make it not display in Firefox?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.