• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Dock on the top?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
You know, the dock can go on the left right and bottom. I was thinking it would be nice to have the dock on the top, just below the white menu bar, which cannot be hidden (or itd be kinda lagged). I was just wondering if any of you would like it there?
I personally right now prefer it on the bottom only because the top is unavail. (course window space would be compromised.)

:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I don't think I'd like it at the top. I have it at the bottom and I also sometimes have it on the right side.

G

gatorparrots

I have mine on the left, only because I cannot put it on the right side of the left monitor in my dual display set up (as you can the task bar in Windows). Oh, and it is certainly possible to put the Dock at the top:

Dock Placement
You can change the dock location with no additional software, using the built-in defaults command line tool. Launch Terminal.app and enter any of these commands:
defaults write com.apple.dock orientation left
defaults write com.apple.dock orientation right
defaults write com.apple.dock orientation top
defaults write com.apple.dock orientation bottom
defaults write com.apple.dock pinning start
defaults write com.apple.dock pinning center
defaults write com.apple.dock pinning end

Then restart the Dock:
kill -1 `ps auxc | grep 'Dock' | awk '{print $2}'`

To achieve your goals of putting the Dock in the top, you would issue these two commands:

Tinker Tool is a free, easy interface for the defaults command and likewise lets you change the Dock positioning to the top.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Originally posted by gatorparrots@Mar 4 2003, 10:57 PM
I have mine on the left, only because I cannot put it on the right side of the left monitor in my dual display set up (as you can the task bar in Windows). Oh, and it is certainly possible to put the Dock at the top:

Dock Placement
You can change the dock location with no additional software, using the built-in defaults command line tool. Launch Terminal.app and enter any of these commands:
defaults write com.apple.dock orientation left
defaults write com.apple.dock orientation right
defaults write com.apple.dock orientation bottom
defaults write com.apple.dock pinning start
defaults write com.apple.dock pinning center
defaults write com.apple.dock pinning end

Then restart the Dock:

To achieve your goals of putting the Dock in the top, you would issue these two commands:

Tinker Tool is a free, easy interface for the defaults command and likewise lets you change the Dock positioning to the top.
I love you Gator!! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
it would be cool if you could make it Hide horizontally. not on the side of the screen, but rather have it pan out to the left or to the right

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I really, need to catch back up with my terminal :D i left off after i figured out how to boost bandwidth. (think i got distracted)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.