Deleting old users without a password

A

Americain

I bought a used iMac with OS X (10.1) and I want to make myself the admin of the computer. I want to get rid of the previous user's name but I'm finding this difficult with out his password. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
You'll need the install disk. You should've got it with the computer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you don't have the password from the previous Admin user, I don't think it will be possible to add a new one. Do you have the installation CD?

OP
A

Americain

Addendum: In order to re-install I need the password. AARRRGGHH. This should be interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you only need the password if you are starting from osx.. if you boot from the disk you will not need the password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
yeah i'm not sure if it's still the same just try holding down the "c" button until you see the boot cd. otherwise it will boot normally from OS X.

OP
A

Americain

BlindingLights said:
yeah i'm not sure if it's still the same just try holding down the "c" button until you see the boot cd. otherwise it will boot normally from OS X.

That did it. When I rebooted with the disk in before it did exactly the same as before. Now that I held down the C key the installation program is running. Thanks very much to all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
ahh no problem. I'm still of a "n00b" when it comes to macs so I tend to put everything in MUCH simpler terms. (then again i'm usually hated for it later... lol)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.