i need a third part for quicktime?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook 12-inch G4 1.55ghz 80g 512mb superdrive
i need a third party for quicktime?

i was trying to watch jarhead and when i clicked on it it said i need software and quicktime's website had a link to it. when i clicked the link it gave me a list of third party players.

1.i wanted to know if any of you downloaded these and what you thought about it.

2. im downloading from limewire- could this be the problem? if so do you have any programs like limewire that you use, would u suggest them.

3.also are there any better programs which i can watch downloaded (free) videos from?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
What type of file is it?

A commercial movie downloaded from LimeWire for free is illegal as are movies downloaded from Bittorrent or any other such service. I don't know of any service that allows you to purchase full length movie downloads.

That being said, there are legitimate videos that you may wish to watch that QuickTime can't handle. Try these:

Flip4Mac. This is a plug in for QuickTime that allows you to watch most WMV (Windows Media Video) files. This is provided free, courtesy of (gasp!) Microsoft.

VLC. This is a stand alone player that can open nearly everything. If all else fails, give it a try. VLC is a free open source application offered for a multitude of platforms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Really dude, I mean I use Bittorrent to get some rare stuff (no longer available on TV, by a long shot) but you shouldn't be stealing movies, just go hire the thing out on DVD when it comes out. It will look a lot better at the very least.

Any way, VLC is basically the bee's nees of video player on mac/pc.

Reaction score
Whatever video you are watching, it requires a codec, seemingly ne quicktime lacks. Find yourself Xvid ad 3ivx codec that you can place inside your library>quicktime folder.

But please, don't steal. I am SO waiting for video downloads in europe.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook 12-inch G4 1.55ghz 80g 512mb superdrive
if i cant remove a dowloaded file from my desktop space. where do you put it again. it only says eject?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
w...b said:
if i cant remove a dowloaded file from my desktop space. where do you put it again. it only says eject?
You downloaded a disk image file. When you opened it, it mounted a disk image. What you have to do is copy the application from the dsik image to your applications folder and then eject the disk image. Finally, delete the disk image file that the disk image came from.

Reaction score
A little more on disk images:

In ANY operating system, under the hood, the os takes a cd or any other media, and mounts it. That means it takes the contents of that media and links it to a virtual folder somewhere deep down in the system. When you look at the media, you're actually looking at the linked version of the disk in your OS, or the Disk Image, if you will.
Since OSX can't differentiate between Disc Images coming from a real CD or Images that were made as files, Apps are often packaged this way so that anything bundled with it is accesible in one place. This saves the trouble of having to compress files in order to make one Zipfile, as it is done under windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.