Help :/ Clicked on link in bad FedEx email- Could I be affected? In need of advice

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I guess I have been living under a rock because I didn't know about the FedEx Virus email that has apparently been going around for a few years.

I just received my new MacBook Pro a few days ago too.

I hear constantly that with Macs there are no viruses out there that affect them.. but I have also read differently on other help forums. Esp about Malware. And some people were saying that they felt their Mac was acting differently after being affected from this bad email.

Anyway, so I clicked on the link in the email that said 'See order details' on a graphic button. It then went to a new web page that was white. It had some rugged description and code that said 'file to big to open' or 'details of order to big' or something weird like that.

I closed it immediately and deleted the email. But has there been damage done?

--And my question is did it affect my Hotmail account separately?
Even if nothing got 'through' to my computer, is my email account compromised?? Or does it have to first be on a computer to infect email? Oh this is confusing.

So since the computer I have is So new still, and this is stressing me out, I have already ordered a new one and will be returning this one.
I am guessing that anything that may or not may be on this computer will be gone with the new one of course.
But could my email be affected and hurt my new computer??

I really know nothing about computers regarding this type of thing and have always used PC and let the antivirius software I was using take care of anything. So this is really stressing me out. Especially since it is possibly affecting a brand new computer and possibly two. :/

Any advice for peace of mind would be so appreciated.

(I realise I wrote this in another forum or thread but saw that this was probably the correct one and could not delete the first)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Change your password - something strong with caps, numbers and say twelve digits. Hotmail is hacked quite regularly so change that password often.

M

MacInWin

No viruses for OS X at this time. Full stop.

Malware is mostly from internet advertisers and dodgy websites that want you to download a video driver, or some such nonsense. Just don't do it.

Some malware is added along with applications you want from third party distributers. Softonic and CNET (Download.com) are prime offenders on this tendency to add crapware to otherwise useful software.

Bottom line, don't click on it if you don't now where it is going, exactly and precisely.

As for where you are now probably no damage done. Just watch to see if any weirdness shows up in your browser over the next few days.

OP
M
Reaction score
Tried to change my email password. It would not let me get into the security section of Hotmail account. Asked for security verification info after I inputed my password and there was stuff missing (like my phone number) and it said to enter the hidden information of my alternate email address to verify it was mine. Didn't do that. So now I am sure it is hacked.
And I can't change the password. But I can still get in.

Lovely thing that I am seeing with Hotmail is in order to report anything you have to go to the security part of your account but I can't get in there to even do that.

Can't change password and can't shutdown or report. Although I will say as of right now, nothing weird is happing in my inbox/sentbox. And nothing is disappearing from there or in my folders.

Anybody know if it is safe to send saved emails to a new safe email account from the compromised one?There were folders of old emails I was saving and will be really sad if I have to discard them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
So since the computer I have is So new still, and this is stressing me out, I have already ordered a new one and will be returning this one.
I am guessing that anything that may or not may be on this computer will be gone with the new one of course.
But could my email be affected and hurt my new computer??

(I realise I wrote this in another forum or thread but saw that this was probably the correct one and could not delete the first)

So, contact an Admin and ask for it to be removed.

Backing up to the first thing above, I'm guessing that's a bad guess. You're talking about Hotmail here, a web based e-mail account. The convenience of that is precisely that you can use any computer from anywhere at anytime to get your e-mail. Switching computers will have no effect on your Hotmail account's status. Follow the advice in the posts above concerning your password. Your computer itself (either one) is fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.