• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Tech Support Adventures

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I just had to share my iPhone upgrade saga!

In October I was eligible for a phone upgrade. I had been waiting for the new iPhone 6. In the past I had Android phones but decided since making the change to Mac a year and a half ago, it was time to change the phone over as well. Easy right?

On Oct 1st, I ordered a new iPhone 6 plus after playing with several at a local apple store. I had a Note II so the large size is what I am use to. After waiting 4 weeks and noticing online that they now only had a wait time of 2-5 days, I call my carrier. It seemed my order had been cancelled.....

Okay....I will back up to give a little background. On Oct. 10th I had called to ask if I could change my order from a 16GB to a 64GB. I had read that iOS need all kinds of room upgrading and I had found myself at family gatherings taking more pics and vids. I was told I had to cancel my order and reorder. I could not apply my originally paid amount to the new order. I had saved, paid with a debit card and they had my cash. I would get a refund and I had to give them more money to place the new order. I told them to forget it, don't cancel the order, I would just go with the 16GB. The girl told me her computer had locked up and they were having issues system wide but my order was fine and if I was concerned to call back later and check. I did and was assured all was okay.

Oct. 30th arrives and I call them to ask where my phone was. I was told I cancelled the order. I received no email to that effect. I still had an order number that when checked said it was in process, I had not been refunded any money, and I was now locked in to a new 2 year contract with them for a phone I did not have. Needless to say my patience was strained. :Angry:

Many phone conversations with various supervisors and a couple of heads of departments later, I am told they would expedite the refund and reset my eligibility to buy a new phone (read - get rid of the 2 year contract.) I waited the 2-5 business days and on day 6 called them back because - you guessed it - I had not received a refund and I was still in a 2 year contract.

Finally on Nov. 3rd, I called back and was told by some head of department that she would send an email to jog my refund along, she had reset my eligibility and I could now order a new phone.... I told her I would wait for the refund.

On Nov. 4th, my refund hit the bank. I ordered my iPhone 6 + 128GB. I deserved it after all the hassles - at least that is what I told my husband. ;D I was told it would be 1-2 weeks before I got it. That iPhone arrive at my door on Nov. 5th. I think they are scared I will call back???? O:)

I added apple care and when I went online to check my bill, which I knew was coming due, I found I now have a huge credit for - yes, the amount of my original phone deposit plus some other fees of some sort.

I called my carrier and I can't get anyone to understand they should NOT owe me over $400. They lady wanted to send me a refund check! I could not get her to see they did not owe me, I owed them. I finally told the lady just forget it and maybe the accounting department will get it figured out.

I really can't get anyone to understand how the bill is a mess. I will probably end up going to my local store and see if they can get it straightened out. I should owe them for my monthly bill plus the $99 for apple care add on. I know some will say don't worry and enjoy but I don't work that way. And besides with my luck they would figure it out and charge me interest! ;D

BUT I have my new iPhone and I love it!!!

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's certainly an interesting story. Keep us posted on your "good fortune" refund. (only kidding). What I really want to know is how you like your new phone and what you're going to do with all that memory! ;D

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I LOVE my new phone. Not sure what I will do with the memory yet. I take a lot of pictures and videos but I have never used my phone. I have a lot to explore. I am still learning how to get my iPad, MB Air and new iPhone to play well together. As soon as I get all the apps loaded on it I want I will start on that next. You may see posted HELP messages!

I just got my first Time Capsule hooked into my network and working properly. Happiness is trying to do it during a storm with a DSL service that is going up and down as the Time Capsule tries to update it's firmware. Oh, and learning to set it up so it is not doing DHCP or NAT because that is the job of the router/modem and convince it to join the current network and not start it's own....yeah that was a learning curve but it is all good now and time machine is happily backing up to it as we speak. I still say all manuals are written by angry people whose first language is not English. Just sayin'.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The human capacity to screw things up is quite amaxing. Oops!

M

MacInWin

Nah, to really screw things up requires a computer, which, unfortunately, the folks at the phone company had...

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I still can't get them to see they double refunded me. The problem is they can only comprehend what they can see. My account shows the refund being credited to my account. What it does not show is the refund going back to my checking account. So for them the refund is correct. I give up. I have hours invested in this issue.

Lisa

Reaction score
Wow It took apple 2 1/2 years to reset my apple id to recover my lost software and music totaling $2,000 because Mavericks autocorrect system decided to autocorrect and change my birthdate so when i went into my apple id to reset the password it told me my birthdate was wrong

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.