Replacement for Print Shop ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac mini with 16GB RAM & 1TB SSD and a 2018 Mac Book Air with 256GB SSD.
My wife, a graphic artist, is going to try the switch to Mac. She uses Photo Shop and Print Shop on her windows computer. Photo Shop works on Mac, Print Shop doesn't.
Please recommend a program that will work as well or better than Print Shop that she can use for her projects. Low cost would be a plus. Computer is a mid 2010 Mac Mini running Mavericks with ten gigs of ram. Please let me know what you would recommend to replace Print Shop with. Thank you very much.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I recommend and use iStudio Publisher which you can find in the Mac App Store. I believe it is still only $17.99 and is a great bargain for that price. The program is very similar to Microsoft Publisher which unfortunately is only for Windows. I use iStudio Publisher in our work to publish bulletins.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My wife, a graphic artist, is going to try the switch to Mac. She uses Photo Shop and Print Shop on her windows computer. Photo Shop works on Mac, Print Shop doesn't.
Please recommend a program that will work as well or better than Print Shop that she can use for her projects. Low cost would be a plus. Computer is a mid 2010 Mac Mini running Mavericks with ten gigs of ram. Please let me know what you would recommend to replace Print Shop with. Thank you very much.

Hello - I would suggest taking a look @ iStudio Publisher - just one thought - good luck! Dave :)

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac mini with 16GB RAM & 1TB SSD and a 2018 Mac Book Air with 256GB SSD.
Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a program that has clip art that can be used in projects?
Any replacement for Broderbund (sp) type image/clip art programs that work on the Mac? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a program that has clip art that can be used in projects?
Any replacement for Broderbund (sp) type image/clip art programs that work on the Mac? Thanks.

Well, if you are asking whether there is a desktop publishing program for Mac OS that comes w/ its own clip art, I cannot provide an answer - but simply google something similar to 'mac os X clip art' and you will have a number of hits to review.

Also, visit the iStudio Publisher website and look @ the tabs that I have added arrows in the attachment below - the tutorials are quite good and I'm sure under 'Support' & 'Blog' you can ask questions concerning using 'clip art' in the app. Good luck - Dave

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 8.23.31 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
If I remember that program correctly, all the clipart was in either .pcx or .bmp format. You could probably just copy it over to the mac via a thumb drive or?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I remember that program correctly, all the clipart was in either .pcx or .bmp format. You could probably just copy it over to the mac via a thumb drive or?

@ Fanner.. - I just opened iStudio Publisher and in their Help section, the image file extensions supported is shown in the attachment (quite a few) - proprietary extensions from other specific programs would be a copyright issue and typically will not open - we switched to Macs last spring and our First Publisher from our PCs would not migrate - again, if you have specific questions about this Apple app, check their online support - I've had excellent success via emails. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 9.22.15 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I just thought I'd mention in case The Print Shop 3 for Mac would be an option as it's now available and runs on OS X 10.6.8 or later, including 10.10 Yosemite according to their site:
Software MacKiev - International Store

I haven't used it, but used to use the old Broderbund PPC version way back when.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just thought I'd mention in case The Print Shop 3 for Mac would be an option as it's now available and runs on OS X 10.6.8 or later, including 10.10 Yosemite according to their site:
Software MacKiev - International Store

I haven't used it, but used to use the old Broderbund PPC version way back when.

Ouch! $79.95..... iStudio Publisher is still only $17.99 in the MAS. You can find all sorts of free clip art for download if you browse around. I've downloaded everything from free religious clip art to everyday pix and art.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yeah, a wee bit pricey IMHO, but I understood they had an upgrade or maybe a cross grade pricing available but I couldn't find it when I went looking. Maybe a phone call or email for such a possible offer??? But it would have to be a BIG money reducing offer. ;)

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wanted to post an update incase anyone else is interested in a replacement for Print Shop. My wife bought Print Master and is very happy with it. In most cases it does even more than Print Shop does. She bought it and downloaded it from Amazon.com. It was $29.95. Hope this helps someone out who is looking for a replacement to Print Shop. This community has helped me so much, and I'm trying to give back what I can.
Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wanted to post an update incase anyone else is interested in a replacement for Print Shop. My wife bought Print Master and is very happy with it. In most cases it does even more than Print Shop does. She bought it and downloaded it from Amazon.com. It was $29.95. Hope this helps someone out who is looking for a replacement to Print Shop. This community has helped me so much, and I'm trying to give back what I can.

Well, so much for our 'sage advice' - :) Used Print Master on a PC years ago - seem to be OK, so hope your wife is happy w/ the program; if not, then please keep in mind the multiple recommendations for a specific app already made in the tread. Dave :)

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave, LOL If you have one of those creatures called a wife I'm sure you will understand. :) All of the recommendations were good, even great, but they did not do what she was looking for :) So, that brought her to Print Master. So, we shall see. Thanks Everyone for your recommendations and advice. PS: I have Smiles turned on, why are they not showing up?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave, LOL If you have one of those creatures called a wife I'm sure you will understand. :) All of the recommendations were good, even great, but they did not do what she was looking for :) So, that brought her to Print Master. So, we shall see. Thanks Everyone for your recommendations and advice. PS: I have Smiles turned on, why are they not showing up?

Hi again - my wife used the program mainly on our old PC - believe she was happy but let us know since this is a question that does arise periodically - in fact, we faced the situation after switching back to Apple (spring of 2013) - she was using First Publisher and there was no OS X equivalent nor a way to port the files over to her iMac, so we went w/ iStudio Publisher - I've used the app to make about a half dozen 4-fold greeting cards w/o a problem.

Concerning the 'smileys', I see you used :) - just eliminate the hyphen, i.e. use the colon or semicolon (wink) for the eyes & just the up or down parentheses for the smile or frown - like this :) :( ;) :( - Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with Dave. When I switched over from Windows back in 2007 - 2008, I seriously thought about using my copy of MS Publisher that I loved and employed for our bulletins and flyers over the years. But that meant I had to load it in a version of Windows running from a Boot Camp dual boot. Instead I tried various Mac programs which never seemed to satisfy what I needed (at a decent price). It wasn't until I came upon iStudio Publisher that I was finally able to do the things with our bulletins and flyers that previously I could only do with MS Publisher.

And by the way, I have used Print Shop from Windows years ago. I believe at the time it was being developed by Broderbund. It always seemed clunky to me which is why I quickly abandoned it for MS Publisher. MS Publisher is a great app but in my opinion, way overpriced if you buy it separately. My copy was included with the business version of Office for Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.