• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Possible iOS8.1 Re-release?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
We get emails at work regarding known security issues. One of these seems to suggest that there is a security problem with iOS8.1, requiring a re-release.

The Apple document mentioned is Here.

However, my iPad Mini 2 says it is up to date.

I only applied the update on Thursday - so did I get the re-release? :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I have never heard of a re-release before with anything that Apple released so far.
iOS 8.1 is the latest and I would keep an eye on the AppStore as the only source for any updates related to Apple.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Good advice. Thanks :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Perhaps you read something about 8.1.1 which is currently being beta tested?

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
8.1.1 is out now; updated iPhone 6, iPad Air 1 and Mini 2 last night with no issues so far.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8.1.1 is out now; updated iPhone 6, iPad Air 1 and Mini 2 last night with no issues so far.

Yes, I was offered the update this morning. Went through with no problems so far :)

Reaction score
Am so glad i stayed on ios 7 instead of upgrading.....made that brutal mistake with my iphone 4 & ios7.....made my phone all but useless not this time lol haha I told the wife dont do it till the mass BETA test is over, she didnt listen hahaha her 5s sucks compared to mine hahaha

there are absolute zero reasons to update to iOS 8....unless you want to add bugs glitches and limit performance,than by all means please upgrade

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lots of folks have already upgraded and are not experiencing problems. But you can stay with whatever you wish for as long as you wish - that is until you can no longer use your phone. ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Am so glad i stayed on ios 7 instead of upgrading.....made that brutal mistake with my iphone 4 & ios7.....made my phone all but useless not this time
iOS 8 is doing the same to the 4s. Like the 7.x series, Apple released an update meant to speed up performance on the lowest supported devices which, once again, Ars Technica has demonstrated has negligible benefit. However, this is not to suggest that it doesn't help some nor is this to suggest that Apple shouldn't support as much as they do (supporting a three year old phone is admirable).

But you can stay with whatever you wish for as long as you wish - that is until you can no longer use your phone. ;)
This. The "latest and greatest" doesn't always have to be the priority. If something works, stick with it.

C

chas_m

The "latest and greatest" doesn't always have to be the priority. If something works, stick with it.

This is fine advice, but on the other hand people who wait *too long* to upgrade often run into problems entirely of their own making. So I think a better suggestion is "if something works, stick with it for a little while longer -- but keep an eye on what's going on, keep your software up-to-date, and upgrade immediately when the security updates stop."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.