Should I Upgrade to Yosemite?

Reaction score
Having read a few of the threads on the topic of Yosemite I am wondering (as a new-ish iMac user running Mavericks) whether I should take the plunge and upgrade the OS

I wouldn't use any of the new headline features which require an iPhone or iPad, so I'm wondering whether it's worth the effort for me to upgrade at all.

Aside from the possibilities of having a few teething troubles with the install, or whether I like the changes to the look and feel (should have called it Marmite rather than Yosemite ;D), can anyone tell me if there are deeper technical benefits within the new OS upgrade that I would be better not to live without?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...can anyone tell me if there are deeper technical benefits within the new OS upgrade that I would be better not to live without?

There are lots & lots & lots of reviews on the internet for Yosemite.:) I would recommend reading some of them in addition to any replies you get here. Then make your OS upgrade decision. Here's one review to get you started:

Apple OS X Yosemite review - Engadget

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks. Interesting article. I think I have decided not to bother with the upgrade for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends on your model Mac and amount of memory installed primarily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (mid 2010) OS 10.13.6
Do not feel like “The Lone Ranger” Aunty_V. The thing I noticed on the Apple apps page for updates is that the graphic for Yosemiti said something about the most advanced/powerful OSX system for your desktop. I believe that "words mean things" especially in 'computer speak'. And since mine is a laptop (late 2010 WhiteBook no less) that is handling Mavericks just fine, I am taking the option not to go to the newest. I haven’t even had time to settle in with Mavericks yet... :p ;D

M

MacInWin

the biggest benefit of Yosemite is the significant increase in performance of my MBP love what it was in Mavericks. The look is flatter, which some like and some don't, but appearance aside, the uptick in performance is actually pretty sharp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.