PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite - Why the "Blah?"

cptkrf
10-25-2014, 01:59 PM
I had to go back to Mavericks on my 2013 Mini because of major problems with Yosemite (discussed elsewhere). Once again, Time Machine proves itself to be one of OSX’s best features.

Anyway, I didn’t realize just how plain looking that 10.10 was compared to the last releases. For myself, I don’t use an OS based on it’s prettiness, especially after years of ‘nix usage with nothing but white letters on black, but the new look is pretty… well, amateurish. Sort of like some beginner programmer would build because they haven’t learned to make the 3-d effect, yet.

And the color choices! Apparently, the programming cubicles at the infinite loop need to be shielded from the sun glare though the windows so they can see what they are actually color-picking.

Did Tim Cook explain the reasoning for the flat look in Yosemite during any of his presentation?

It certainly does not cause a sensation of “Wow” the first time you see it. More of a “Blah.”

dtravis7
10-25-2014, 02:04 PM
I don't see it this way, but this is an article on Flat Design and why some feel its better. I personally like it the old way.

A Look at Flat Design and Why It's Significant | UX Magazine (http://uxmag.com/articles/a-look-at-flat-design-and-why-its-significant)

rfomlover
10-25-2014, 02:07 PM
I can agree that it is more "blah" then previous releases, mainly because they are trying to make it look like jony Ives' ios. I think they back tracked. The dock look like the one from 10.4 tiger and earlier. While it is a little more "blah" I certainly do welcome the new features although I did just switch to android. It's nice and I agree with you with time machine being great lol.

cptkrf
10-25-2014, 02:17 PM
I don't see it this way, but this is an article on Flat Design and why some feel its better. I personally like it the old way.

A Look at Flat Design and Why It's Significant | UX Magazine (http://uxmag.com/articles/a-look-at-flat-design-and-why-its-significant)

A decent article, even if I don't quite agree with his reasoning. Flat still looks amateurish and shallow to me, but as I said, I don't use a computer because of the look of icons.

His idea of doing it for speed is fallacious on the computer side. First off, with modern processors, the difference in presenting a 3-d icon and a flat one would be measured in nanoseconds and probably with a lot of zeros to the right of the decimal.

And mainly, if companies actually wanted to "make their websites faster," they could try eliminating the hundreds of third party links that track, push, and stall on every page.

vansmith
10-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Did Tim Cook explain the reasoning for the flat look in Yosemite during any of his presentation?Not that I remember but Yosemite does seem to be following the very drawn out trend of "toning it down." If you compare Yosemite to something like Leopard, that to Tiger and keep going backwards, you can see the muting of OS X's aesthetic. I admit that I like it (I think Yosemite looks quite nice aside from the folder icon colour which is just garish) - Apple toned down the iMessage speech bubbles (which looked hideous), added a font that looks nicer (when it's not blurred) and cut down on the window chrome. That's just me though - I know that Yosemite has one of the most polarizing aesthetics.

cwa107
10-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Putting the UI in dark mode improves things quite a bit, IMO.... now I wish this applied to windows too, but it's a good start:

http://content.screencast.com/users/cwa107/folders/Jing/media/f853a098-4a86-4007-911b-a22004cfa826/00000367.png

harryb2448
10-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Surprisingly, I agree with you vansmith and think Yosemite is great! Although there still seems big problems for folks not doing a clean install, or carrying problems over from earlier operating systems.

vansmith
10-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Putting the UI in dark mode improves things quite a bit, IMO.... now I wish this applied to windows too, but it's a good start:I've taken to dark mode as well as a test and I quite like it. I actually like how it sort of blends in with the bezel on my MBP.

Surprisingly, I agree with you vansmith and think Yosemite is great! Although there still seems big problems for folks not doing a clean install, or carrying problems over from earlier operating systems.What do you mean "surprisingly"? You mean there are times you don't agree with me? :P

MacbookWilis
10-25-2014, 08:42 PM
You could change a little of the aspect of the windows in yosemite I think I'm not sure if the app works in yosemite yet but you should check it out, its called Flavours Flavours - Tasteful Themes for Mac (http://flavours.interacto.net) I have OS X Lion and works pretty cool since there are a lot of themes to modify, Since I can't install yosemite on mi MacBook, Lion was as far as it goes :( I make my desktop look a bit like yosemite even changed the icons. I don't feel the nee to buy a new computer if this one still works perfectly fine =)

chscag
10-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Theme changers like "Candy Bar" and Dock software (SuperDocker) do not work with Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and now Yosemite. Perhaps later on we'll see software which will allow making changes possible.

MacbookWilis
10-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Theme changers like "Candy Bar" and Dock software (SuperDocker) do not work with Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and now Yosemite. Perhaps later on we'll see software which will allow making changes possible.

I checked the page from Flavours app and seems to support Mavericks it may work for yosemite if anyone would wanna check it out :)

chscag
10-25-2014, 10:19 PM
I checked the page from Flavours app and seems to support Mavericks it may work for yosemite if anyone would wanna check it out :)

According to the developer, the new Flavours (Flavours 2) is not ready yet for release. It will support Yosemite when it's released. See this (https://interacto.zendesk.com/entries/53605899-Yosemite-and-the-future-Flavours-2).

chas_m
10-26-2014, 04:59 AM
I'm really quite fond of the icons and think the screenshots above are quite lovely. Perfect? No. Still need some polishing yet. But the flatness doesn't bother me a bit, I think it's a huge improvement over fake shadows and fake 3D everywhere.

I wasn't that bothered by the skeuomorphism that was apparently Scott Forstall's signature, though I didn't think it worked well in Contacts. Now that I've seen Time Machine, Contacts and Calendar without it, however, I approve of Ive's choices there (though I'll be the first to say that I don't need QUITE so much white everywhere).

Magroglex
10-26-2014, 01:51 PM
I love the way Yosemite looks! I think it's breathtaking. I can't compare it to Tiger and Leopard becuase I don't remember what they looked like. (And don't care.)

Discovered in launch pad a piece of Yosemite waiting to be downloaded. Did the beta purgatorical testing. Over many weeks, several of the releases wouldn't download for me and they sat in launch pad. A few days ago, it finally began to download all of the bits and pieces. About 14 hours worth with my crappy internet connection. Thought I was all done. Checked with app store. No upgrades.

Cleaning house in Launch Pad and discovered one more piece that hadn't been installed. Surpirsed me. Didn't show up in app store which is where I'd been looking just to make sure I hadn't overlooked anything. Guess when I tried to download it at the time of its release, it couldn't quite make the trip, so it sat, waiting, in launch pad. I think I have all the bits and pieces now. Works fine. In particular, I do heavy duty mailing with Mac Mail (deleted 4000 emails last week) and it's much faster and actually delivers the mail this time.

harryb2448
10-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Spot on van! Charlie and Tom told me to be careful with you whatchamacallems!

vansmith
10-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Spot on van! Charlie and Tom told me to be careful with you whatchamacallems!"Amazing administrator" is the word you're looking for. ;)

harryb2448
10-26-2014, 10:10 PM
Wow I really misunderstood them Texan accents alas!!!!

vansmith
10-26-2014, 10:18 PM
It's okay, everyone makes mistakes. :P

MacInWin
10-27-2014, 12:02 PM
I'll chime in as another satisfied customer with Yosemite. The icon changes are somewhat startling (particularly for iTunes, can we have blue back, please?) but like all things, in a few hours it just seems natural. I haven't upgraded my business machines yet to Yosemite (you don't do that sort of thing in the run-up to holiday sales season, if you know what you are doing) so when I go back to Mavericks on those machines it just seems "cluttered" somehow after the clean look of Yosemite. I also think Yosemite is significantly snappier in performance than Mavericks. I have learned in my 69 years that change is inevitable and that if I stand still, the technology world moves on and leaves me behind, so I just keep moving along with change and embrace it whenever I can. With Yosemite, I'm embracing it and enjoying it.

lclev
10-27-2014, 03:22 PM
I honestly have not been upset with the "new" look. Do I prefer the old Dock look of Mavericks? Yes, but is it that big of a deal? No, not really. Do I prefer a blue iTunes to a red iTunes? Actually, for me I find it easier to not confuse it with the App icon. Okay, so I get in a hurry and click too fast but the more different the better for me.

I will say this, given the initial Yosemite difficulty with mail, I was skeptical at first but, I have been very impresses with what I can only describe as self-healing. All the quirky email issues "fixed" themselves. I am not sure if it was apple tweaking in the back ground or vendors, like google, fixing issues. What ever or who ever - it got fixed.

And on the subject of fixes, I have read postings where some have hailed the fact that Microsoft seems to address issues in a much timely manner with updates and patches. Please....really.... I love coming to work and turning on my Windows 7 editors only to find I will have to wait anywhere 30 minutes or more for updates to download, install, and reboot. And on more than one occasion, after the reboot, something doesn't work - like Premiere Pro, which I use daily. And now I have to troubleshoot, find the offender and uninstall it. Would it be unreasonable to ask for an operating system that did not require frequent and constant fixes that take a long time and require long reboots? Oh, wait, there is - OS X. Okay, off my soap box...back to work....

Lisa

harryb2448
10-27-2014, 05:01 PM
'New' look Lisa? Small minnows.

What is big time is Apple removing the floppy from the original Bondi Blue iMac. Now that was catastrophic!!!

lclev
10-27-2014, 05:25 PM
'New' look Lisa? Small minnows.

What is big time is Apple removing the floppy from the original Bondi Blue iMac. Now that was catastrophic!!!

Your right, that was catastrophic! :D

Lisa

banesto
10-27-2014, 05:30 PM
I was wondering does Quick time still have a distorted play back on movie in yosemite, as in mavericks?
that worked perfectly in leopard to mountain lion

vansmith
10-27-2014, 06:02 PM
I've never seen terribly distorted playback in QT. What are you seeing specifically?

lclev
10-27-2014, 07:32 PM
I was wondering does Quick time still have a distorted play back on movie in yosemite, as in mavericks?
that worked perfectly in leopard to mountain lion

Never saw any issues in Mavericks. As for Yosemite, I just streamed an mp4 video that I created and stored in my Dropbox. It played flaulessly and trust me, I am picky! ;D

Lisa

Exodist
10-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Been using my desktop a lot. I know myself and many others have complained about the looks. Apple seems to be slightly changing the looks every 2 years or about. There are a few things that annoy me, but they are not deal breakers. Most apps I used like Final Cut, Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.. are not effected hardly at all. But it does feel like Apple hit a home run, yet stopped at 3rd base with this UI. So its likely next release may see more tweaks to it.

I personally would like to have seen more translucency or even the ability to adjust it more. But till then, I just hope they get some patches out to fix many of the bugs..

midway40
10-28-2014, 07:14 PM
...And on the subject of fixes, I have read postings where some have hailed the fact that Microsoft seems to address issues in a much timely manner with updates and patches. Please....really.... I love coming to work and turning on my Windows 7 editors only to find I will have to wait anywhere 30 minutes or more for updates to download, install, and reboot. And on more than one occasion, after the reboot, something doesn't work - like Premiere Pro, which I use daily. And now I have to troubleshoot, find the offender and uninstall it. Would it be unreasonable to ask for an operating system that did not require frequent and constant fixes that take a long time and require long reboots? Oh, wait, there is - OS X. Okay, off my soap box...back to work....

Lisa

Preach it, sister! :D

MyMac8MyPC
10-31-2014, 12:34 PM
Anyway, I didn’t realize just how plain looking that 10.10 was compared to the last releases. For myself, I don’t use an OS based on it’s prettiness, especially after years of ‘nix usage with nothing but white letters on black, but the new look is pretty… well, amateurish. Sort of like some beginner programmer would build because they haven’t learned to make the 3-d effect, yet.

And the color choices! Apparently, the programming cubicles at the infinite loop need to be shielded from the sun glare though the windows so they can see what they are actually color-picking.

It certainly does not cause a sensation of “Wow” the first time you see it. More of a “Blah.”

I agree 100%!

In terms of appearance they almost went back to the OS 9 look. Very dull. Very basic. Very Boring...

In terms of functionality, OS X 10.10 rocks! The new features are great and work great.

If anyone ever makes s new icon set plug-in for Yosemite they will make a million bucks.

I guess it could be worse. all the icons could be just black and white ;D

pinto79
10-31-2014, 06:57 PM
I don't have issue with the new look. My only question is why does the Doc need a background at all? Why can't my row of icons just be a row of icons on the bottom of the screen?

Anyone know of a way to "hide" that part of the Dock?

chas_m
11-01-2014, 02:54 AM
I will simply say this: I rely on this machine for my living. So much so that I have a spare slightly-more-vintage Mac around at all times as backup hardware. There is no possible way I would upgrade to a new OS if it didn't work with my software, as I'd be out of a job. When testing Yosemite in beta, I put it on a separate drive from Mavericks so I could both troubleshoot and be sure to have one productive OS X I could count on.

During the beta process, I ran across some what for me would be "showstopper" issues with some programs breaking under Yosemite (a fair number of FTP programs, AIM, iMovie [of all things!] and so on).

As of Beta 6, I moved over to Yosemite full time for all my daily tasks. I have been there since. Apart from some minor programs and menubar items that need to update for Dark Mode (I'm looking at you, Radium!), this release is IMHO as solid as Mavericks was in its first release (people have very short -- and decidedly selective -- memories about this). Room for improvement? Yes. Good enough for production-level, mission-critical work? For me, yes (and I use a fairly wide array of apps). Stable? You bet.

I'm not saying other people haven't had issues. I'm saying I haven't seen them on this machine with the programs mentioned that I also use. Why? Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe my habit of routine maintenance, regular backups and (this last one hasn't been done yet due to travel) a clean install of a major OS upgrade has made a difference in my "luck." I have no doubt that some of the reports I've seen are clearly legitimate bugs in Yosemite, but either I don't run those programs, don't run them that way, or the problem just isn't reproducible on this machine.

urbanman2004
11-04-2014, 02:06 AM
What's with all the animosity towards Yosemite? IMO the UI looks fine to me. The simplistic style brings back nostalgic memories of Panther and Tiger but with less of a 3D effect.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3950/15708449992_8b6c4b3a8b_h_d.jpg

Exodist
11-04-2014, 04:08 AM
Everyone acts like the doc is new. Its the same one used for Left and Right positions for the past couple of releases. Just you can turn it black now.