• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Torn over phone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
So I've been an iPhone user since 2008. Yesterday I picked up a galaxy note 4 and like it but it just doesn't feel like home to me and I'm really trying to contemplate returning it and getting a 6 plus. Has any body else been in this boat and decided to keep their Android phone?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Use whatever works for you. Both are fully capable platforms and both meet the needs of 95% of users.

It probably doesn't feel like "home" because you've been using a different platform for six years. Give it a bit of time, especially since you only got it yesterday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
I felt the same way when I got my first Android phone (a Galaxy Y). All of my previous phones had physical keyboards. The idea of using a touch-screen phone was a completely alien concept to me. So when the screen on my previous phone stopped working, I reluctantly went to the nearest phone shop and got it.

Within about a month of getting the Y, I was happily typing text messages on it like I'd been using this sort of technology my entire life. I've since upgraded to an S3 mini, but that first Galaxy helped me see that I am capable of using touch screens. I know this sounds really cheesy, but I'm very grateful to the Galaxy Y for that.

C

chas_m

I agree with Van, there's no reason to rush to judgment. Take a few day, figure out what you like and don't like. The iPhone 6 Plus is, by all accounts, a terrific product for those who prefer that size, but to be fair you should play with the one you have for a bit to make a more informed judgment.

Reaction score
Personally, I like exploring other platforms to see what capabilities they hold. It's always an adjustment and you'll find some things you miss and others that you wondered how you lived without. But it's good to give alternatives a try, at the very least to know what's possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I was on the same boat between the N4 and iPhone6+. I've gone from iPhones, to Note 2, to iPhone 5s, to Note 3, then back to iPhone 5s, but went with the Note 4 this time. I like the ecosystem that the iPhone provides me with my Macs, but once you get used to a Note # series, everything else will always seem like a slight downgrade in one way or another. For me, I know I will always go back and forth between Note and iPhone. Nothing else really interests me. I love my Note 4:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.