Suggested configuration in order to sell my used Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
I am going to be selling my used late 2008 Macbook Pro as I just purchased a new mid 2014 model.

I am looking for some feedback about what configuration or setup is best for it when I list it. It has 8GB of RAM with two hard drives using a OWC data doubler. It has a 750GB 7200RPM drive and 240GB SSD drive. I have put the Superdrive in an enclosure which can be connected to the laptop via a USB cable.

Should I leave the laptop configured as is or does it make sense to remove the SSD drive and leave the 750GB drive in plus re-install the Superdrive. If I do this I can sell the SSD drive by itself.

Thoughts? What setup sounds more appealing to buyers?

Thanks!

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thoughts? What setup sounds more appealing to buyers?

There are two sides to this "coin". On the one hand…what will net you the most money. On the other hand what will help it sell fast.

When it comes to upgrades installed in a computer…you rarely ever get full value for them when you sell. But these upgrades can help sell the computer faster (especially if being sold via an avenue like Craig's List).

So you could remove the upgrades (and restore the computer back to it's original configuration). Then "repurpose" the upgrades yourself…and sell what you don't intend on reusing. Or leave the upgrades as is…maybe get a little bit higher of a selling price…and maybe help it sell faster as well.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Though you have done a lot to make that 2008 machine a lot more attractive, it's still a 2008 machine, and will be facing some limitations now and in years to come. As-is, though, it should be very desireable to someone who wants something that has been future-proofed as much as it can be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.