Transfer windows files to iMac Air

Reaction score
Hi
My windows PC has died. I saved email contacts, word documents and photos to an external hard drive. Am thinking of buying an iMac desktop or Mac Air laptop but how do I transfer my files from the external hard drive to the Apple?
Thanks

C

chas_m

Hi

My windows PC has died. I saved email contacts, word documents and photos to an external hard drive. Am thinking of buying an iMac desktop or Mac Air laptop but how do I transfer my files from the external hard drive to the Apple?

Thanks

Should be fairly simple. Word documents you'll just put in the Documents folder -- they'll open in any Mac word processor program,including the built-in TextEdit.

For photos, just drag them into the open main window of iPhoto.

The contacts might be tricky, depending on how you exported them. The Mac Contacts app can read vCards, but not much else. If they're not in that format, you'll need to do a search on how to convert them to vCard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.