• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

downloading and exporting

Reaction score
Often times when we hook up our Sony camcorders to the Macbooks, Imovie doesn't recognize the camera. Is there an easy workaround for this? I was also wondering why I can't export/save footage from the Event Library. I figured at least if one laptop can save the footage we can pass it around on a flash drive and download it onto group members' laptops.

Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Sony camcorders are often problematic when trying to connect to iMovie. Yours seem to work intermittently.
I was also wondering why I can't export/save footage from the Event Library.
You can't export from iMovie unless you put footage into a Project first, and then Share the Project. However, you can access the raw footage in the iMovie Events folder for iMovie11(v9) or the iMovie Library for iMovie 10.

For the iMovie Library folder, Right/Ctrl click and choose "Show package contents". In either case, in you are dragging to Finder, make sure you Copy and not Move them other wise they won't show in iMovie afterwards.

OP
U
Reaction score
I have Imovie 11.

I don't see "package contents". I see "import from camera" down to "grouping events" and "move event to trash".

Would it make a difference if the camera was attached to a different usb input on the Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I don't see "package contents".
You won't with iMovie11(see previous post).

You can access the raw imported footage in the iMovie Events folder for iMovie11. You'll find the folder in your Home Folder>Movies>iMovie Events.

Would it make a difference if the camera was attached to a different usb input on the Mac?
Maybe. Give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
U
Reaction score
Also, once the folder is saved to a usb drive, how do you get it into imovie on another laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about the cache and the thumbnails?
What are they used for?
Don't know. Don't worry about them, iMovie uses them.
Also, once the folder is saved to a usb drive, how do you get it into imovie on another laptop?
Use iMovie's Import function, via the File Menu>Import>Movies option.

Don't be impatient. People aren't sat in front of their computers all day waiting to answer questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could copy your Project and/or Events to the USB without the bother of finding the original imported footage.

When you attach an external drive/USB stick it's icon will show at the bottom of the Project and Event Libraries.

Drag a Project from the Project Library to the icon. You will be asked if you want the associated Events. Choose "Yes" if you want to work on the Project on a different Mac.

You can do the same with an Event if you wish.

C

chas_m

The cache and thumbnails, incidentally, are used by iMovie to allow that very impressive "scrubbing through the video to select the bits I want to use" manoeuvre that is central to the way the program edits.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.