What Kind of Interface?

Z

zachwass2000

What would be the best kind of interface for an amateur musician to begin recording songs onto a computer? Currently I have been using the line in on my PowerBook and a converter from Radio Shack to plug in an amp to the computer then recording with Garage Band. I am hoping to upgrade to something better suited to recording. I was looking at things like M-Audio FireWire 410, http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire410-main.html or the Digidesign MBox 2, http://www.digidesign.com/products/mbox2/ . Which of these do you think is better taking into account included software, inputs, price, etc. or would you have another recommendation for me? Thank you very much for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
M-Audio and Pro-Tools Joined together a while back to create a cool combo(i believe its the Digidesign MBox 2) . I can't remember the price, but it's worth a google.

OP
Z

zachwass2000

Yeah I know about the MBox 2, It seems like it would work, but I want to talk to people who have used it or other interfaces.

OP
T

TheRover

Great thread....I just got my powerbook and have a couple of more questions to ponder:

Do you all add effects to guitar tracks AFTER recording them or during.....is one better than the other?

Does anyone run their guitar through effects pedals BEFORE going into the computer? I find that the amp simulations just aren't cutting it for me and I'm thinking about getting an amp simulator to plug in before going into the computer.

Are the input boxes you mention above that much better than just plugging into the mic input?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
TheRover said:
Great thread....I just got my powerbook and have a couple of more questions to ponder:

Do you all add effects to guitar tracks AFTER recording them or during.....is one better than the other?

Does anyone run their guitar through effects pedals BEFORE going into the computer? I find that the amp simulations just aren't cutting it for me and I'm thinking about getting an amp simulator to plug in before going into the computer.

Are the input boxes you mention above that much better than just plugging into the mic input?

It's usually better to add effects after you record into you're DAW so you can experiment with different sounds to your taste, but if you prefer your outboard effects to the plug-ins, by all means record in using the outboard effects.
The input boxes have more indepth options like sample rates, digital/analog input, stereo (balanced or unbalanced) line ins, panning options, phantom power for condenser mics, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.