Hard Drive Problem?

Z

zachwass2000

Hi Everyone,
I am a recent Mac switcher (a few months now) and I just did "Verify Disk" in Disk Utility for no real reason. The results were somewhat alarming though...

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Illegal name
Illegal name
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Should I be worried about this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
boot from your install cd (insert osx cd, restart while holding down 'C', once at the install window after you select your language find disk utility in the top menu bar. instead of clicking verify disk, click repair disk and then it should fix it for you. i just did this on my powermac g5.
-chris

OP
Z

zachwass2000

Well I tried it and all it did was get stuck on a gray screen and the superdrive started making weird noises. I finally got it to eject the OSX install disc and I noticed that there is a tiny crack going across the top (where the label is) of the disc. The crack isn't noticeable from the bottom, but the disc wont work right. Will apple replace the disc? Is there anything else I can do?

OP
Z

zachwass2000

Yes I have AppleCare. Will they replace it? How do I go about getting it replaced?

OP
X

xbrian87

Haha, I just did the verify disc and I have the SAAAAME message that you got. I have a 17" Duo iMac; let us know if you ever find a solution, but I wouldn't be too worried, I have it too and my mac runs like a finely tuned racecar :p

OP
Z

zachwass2000

Looks like they want to charge me even though I have AppleCare :( I'm on hold hopefully it can be worked out.

OP
Z

zachwass2000

$25 per disc! It's not covered by AppleCare, only the 90 day warranty when the computer is purchased. Well at least it looks like the hard drive thing is not a big deal. Sucks that I can't have the install discs just in case.

OP
X

xbrian87

eBay it.

You can get one for $5, I'd assume.

Or find someone on here with the same model as you and have them copy it for you. (if it's not illegal, of course! :p)

OP
Z

zachwass2000

Yeah I guess that's what it's going to come down to. Sorry Apple, if you don't give me an acceptable option I'll have to find another.

OP
L

Liana

I have this exact same thing on my PB and have my OSX disk to run the repair, but I used someone else's Tiger disk to install Tiger onto my PB. Will I lose Tiger if I run the repair with my OSX disk?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.