Sort IPhoto Albums by date

Reaction score
Seems there's only one way to sort IPhoto Albums (I'm not talking about photos within Albums) - I want to sort the listing of albums in the left margin - how do I do that?

Reaction score
I doubt that there is any date/time associated with an album. Events have dates and photos have dates and times, but albums are just collections of references to photos ... say, one of all pictures of the grand kids' birthday pictures. Unless you're talking about an alphabetic sort ... then right click on an album to be able to sort them alphabetically.

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
While you (ron4mac) may not organize your world this way, I do.

When I return from a hike or a trip or just take a few shots of something memorable, I dump my camera or IPhone into IPhoto and record it as an album with location and date (month year). I now have done this for some ten years of IPhoto albums and retained the natural sorting of the albums. So each album, when it is created has a date with it.

I simply wish to retain this "sort by album creation date" that I have used successfully for many years until this "sort feature by alphabet" undid everything. Who really gives a **** about the alphabet sort anyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
(a) Put the date as first part of name - sorted!

(b) Most of us would NAME events with a name I think you will find, so that would make a large number of us 'giving a **** about alphabet sort'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
As Sawday says. Also, you can resort manually by dragging Albums to the order you want.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
PtWise, you have an attitude problem mate.
Ron was only explaining that the iPhoto application does not provide that functionality by default.
On the other hand, if you have been doing this for over 10 years, then where is the question coming from ?
By all means continue what you are doing.

The members on this forum are all very helpful and provide help because they want to, not because they have to. Like I said, you have an attitude problem.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.