From W8 to Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 11.3 15, iMac 21 iPhone i6
In this country South Africa,Mac is largely unknown and only now starting to appear but still extremely rare, so after coming through Windows 95 through tall the new versions until W8.1, I decided to see Mac as a challenge, mainly because of its incredible graphics and screen appearance. I have a Macbook Pro 15 and iMac.
I am on to it for a month now and finding my way, one question though, if I want to Save As to a sub-folder, how to do that, as in the drop down list of possible places to save I get Desktop, Documents, Dropbox etc. So now I save to Documents, and must then go to that folder to move it to its correct subfolder

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Next to the file name is a button with a downward facing triangle. Click that and you'll get a more complete file selector.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey thanks, vansmith, I saw the button but as it was higher up, next to the file name and not destination I have missed it. My problems are over.

I find I can do everything I need just as easy as in the Windows OS but everything looks so nice, and the silence, and the incredible speed versus Windows, I am settled though I have much to learn, especially the more prominent use of keyboard keys vs in Windows where I about never used that navigation and command tool while I was absolutely dependant on Icon clicks.

Deon Smith

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One other thing, while Macs are very expensive vs the Windows machine, the big money-saving comes where Windows needs all the extra software, and here it has about everything built in already. I have initially bought Adobe Acobat for Mac, but with Preview, even that buy seems now unnecessary.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's very true about all the included apps. Purchasers of a new Mac additionally receive a gratis copy of the Apple iWork applications which include Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. Those apps are the equivalent of MS Office. As for Preview, it's probably one of the most useful included apps. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
if you find yourself missing the f key shortcuts, you can always enable them through the keyboard assignments in settings, although the only 2 that I miss so far is the f2 for edit in a spreadsheet and the f5 for refresh. Most of the programs give you a refresh button though. Welcome to Mac!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.