• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video From my Camera into Handbrake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Hello all,
I have a Sony Handycam DVD camera and I have a project for my AM Wired class due on wed. I took my brothers camera as I felt it would be eaiser then carrying one of the DV Camera's home from school. So I shot the video is 16:9 format and I got home and I put the DVD into my powermac quad and tried to use handbrake to rip the DVD. It works but it works in such a way where it is strecthing (more like squeezing) the video to fit in a 4:3 format, where I rather it just look like it would as if I played a 16:9 in a 4:3 tv (with black bars on the top) Now I would not care that it did this but the quality is HORRIBLE when it does it this way. So my question is how can I get it into final cut pro with out this extreme loss of quality.

Reaction score
Garbage in garbage out. FCP isnt going to help you make the quality better. Just use the motion controls to unsqueeze it tho.
I though DVD camcorders saved the movie as a file on disk. Cant you just take the file right of the DVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You need to go into 'picture settings' in handbrake and select the right aspect ratio for your film.

Rerip it and it should leave the film as it is.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
You need to go into 'picture settings' in handbrake and select the right aspect ratio for your film.

Rerip it and it should leave the film as it is.

Thank you I will try that and report back. I tried looking for something like that in handbrake but maybe I missed it. I will head over to my powermac now to try to check that out.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Report Back: So I checked handbrake I do no thave that option. So I am went into "crop and scale" and chose to de-interlace the video. in the preview it looked much better quality, and I am hoping it ends up looking fine, If not then I will have to see if the cause to not having "picture settings" could be because I do not have the latest version of handbrake (although I thought I did) Will report back again in a few hours. When I get back online.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I have realized I did not have the most recent version of Handbrake. All things are going well now and I should have this edited and ready to go by the end of tonight so I don't have to worry about this for wed. Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No problem, glad to help our Mac forums Moth :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.