Sony Ericsson w600i and the Mac

C

Crabapple

I've been shopping for an mp3 player other than the iPod.

I have a lot of my music already on a hard drive as mp3's.

I also needed a cell phone. My old Nokia had mushy buttons and it just sucked. The interface was crap, and it's Sprint. :eek:neye:

SO.. after shopping a bit ( I'm on Maui so I'm limited) I decided to go with the folks at Cingular and get a GO phone with rollover minutes AND get a W600i phone/mp3player/still & vid camera/fm tuner and more!!

$416 for the phone and $41 for the first month. I was out the door with my wallet still burning!! :cool:

It comes with PC software to upload music and download pics so of course I wondered what it would do on the Mac. I reckoned it would just show as a removable drive... and guess what, it does.

The iPod is stomping Sony's Walkman icon like a grape in the marketplace. Think about it... How many people in the last 3 months have said to you "I got an iPod" ?? How many said "I got a walkman" ?? :biohazard I think, it is because of this royal stomping that Sony won't put any disclosure on their packaging or in their marketing that this phone/mp3 player will indeed work on your Mac.

The guys at the Cingular store of course wouldn't say if it would work with a Mac. That's marketing baby!

So I love my W600i! If you're thinking about it and you see that PC only software packaged with it, no worry. Drag & drop the folders right from the iTunes folder onto the phone and enjoy! Just remember, when you send items to the trash from the phone storage, be sure to "empty trash" before you eject the device. :doctor:

HOWEVER>> if you don't take ANY pics you only end up with about 127 MB of storage space for songs so compress them down to 120 khz in iTunes and you'll get about two hours of good quality music. Compress it further and you'll start to hear noticable sound degradation in the mp3 but you'll get more songs onboard and be able to capture a pic or two.

So far, I love it. It's a device you come home with and discover MORE than you thought you purchased and it does work with a Mac. Of course...

Peace.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If you want even nicer mac integration, check out feisar.com for a whole list of programs that can automatically sync your pics, iTunes library and movies with the phone...

OP
S

scholzie23

that is an awesome sight. i have the w800i. Thanx that helped me a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Your welcome everyone, the site really is excellent for mac & SE users.

OP
C

Crabapple

I ordered a W800i the other day. The W600 is cool but the 800 has a 512MB removable memory card! I also ordered an extra 1 GB card. I like the flat layout of the W800 better.

The W600 is getting returned today. Thank you Cingular. (;

As far as uploading to the phone goes, I'm just doing it manually for now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.