• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Copy Forward

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
A great little clip I found, and the copy/stealing conundrum is spelt out so elegantly :)

Copy Forward ~ Youtube

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looked like Apple propaganda to me Brent! Besides, did you notice all the bottles of liquor in the background behind the guy? BTW, our number one Apple fan (not mentioning a name) should really love that video. :Evil:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
He made two major flaws in his argument. First, he said that both sides "steal" equally and then proceeded to differentiate the two cases. Secondly, he seems to be assuming that Apple "means" what they ship whereas he assumes that Samsung doesn't with no shred of evidence. While his points may make sense, there's nothing to support them. If I were to say the exact opposite, I'd be no more right or wrong than he is.

Nonetheless, he brings up some interesting ideas about how product evolution is contingent on people borrowing and adapting from others. Indeed, there's very little in mobile device development now that is truly unique.

(This wasn't a defence or critique of any company or product...I just hate bad argumentation. I do certainly think that Samsung takes more from Apple than the other way around).

Reaction score
He made two major flaws in his argument. First, he said that both sides "steal" equally and then proceeded to differentiate the two cases. .

Sorry for my ignorance. I'm unsure what you mean here. you say he made 2 major flaws and i understand the second flaw but what is the major flaw in the first major flaw? The fact that he said "steal"?

not arguing just i am unsure what you mean here.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No, it's more that he said that each side steals from the other but then proceeded to suggest that Samsung simply steals outright whereas Apple takes and builds upon what they see as needed. Not only does that suggest that they aren't equal (which is certainly implied) but he's also being quite obviously one-sided in positioning Apple as a "productive" stealer (stealing for the purposes of refining and adapting as required) and Samsung as nothing more than a thief. Any cursory look at the history mobile devices will show you that every company has done both - adapted/refined and outright stolen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.