TextEdit and CSS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am new to web design and I can't seem to link my stylesheet onto my html page. I am just using textedit right now and not a program like text wrangler.
Whenever I open the html page with my css link it just displays my html without the stylesheet. The style sheet is named stylesheet.css, no txt extension.

Reaction score
This is the Hardware and Peripherals forum...

Also, since web pages are not platform-specific, I advise posting your question in a web design forum.

Reaction score
While Textedit can show HTML I don't think it can handle CSS. I could be wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This is the Hardware and Peripherals forum...

Also, since web pages are not platform-specific, I advise posting your question in a web design forum.

It would be more bifocal if you could help the OP out, especially on a 1st post than hammer him for posting in a incorrect forum. This isn't Apple Community Forums. Staff will move it if needed in due course.

.css files can't be saved using Text Edit, as they default turn to a Unicode (UTF-8) document with a .txt extension if you have the box checked.

If you want to do Web development, its well worth the $ to invest in a good Text/Code Editor like Textastic which is on the Mac App Store and has syntax highlighting for 80+ code languages including HTML and CSS.
Then if you want more, look for something like Coda 2 which I swear by, as the best Web Design Editor with live previews around.

Than again, have a look at this list for all good Text/Code Editors for Mac.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Oh and have a look around for Bundles. 2 weeks ago one of them had Coda 2, Rapid Weaver 5 and Scrivener + 5 other smaller known Apps all in 1 bundle for $39.99 . . . . Mind you Rapid Weaver 6 is in the pipeline doing Beta Testing on it at the moment.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
While Textedit can show HTML I don't think it can handle CSS. I could be wrong.
CSS is plain text just as HTML is so anything that can take text input can do both.

LucLeDuke, can you provide some sample code? I'm guessing that the style href is simply linking to a file that doesn't exist.

Reaction score
Actually I was referring to the fact that Textedit can render a web page by opening HTML however cannot use the CSS for it.
That was what he was having problems with.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Actually I was referring to the fact that Textedit can render a web page by opening HTML however cannot use the CSS for it.
Hmm, I didn't know that it did that. Goes to show how often I use TextEdit with HTML content.

Reaction score
That was what he was having problems with.

In this case, the OP can simply save the changes in TextEdit and click the HTML file in its saved location to preview it in Safari with the style sheet.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for useful information.i also having the same problem but now clear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.