Possible virus or malware

Reaction score
Hi
Since yesterday my mac behaves like it's affected by a virus. Every time I click on the link (let's say I am on yahoo page and click on the article) additional window will open with some commercial or advertisement crap. I t drives me nuts. Yesterday I wanted to upgrade my video watching software to see streaming tv from the event. I was in a hurry and clicked on something I did not know. I realized it too late and it started downloading, but the progress instead of going forward it counted like in minus. So… -100.. -90 etc. Cancelled quickly, but I am afraid too late. Any idea if I can run some antivirus software? Anything good out here?
My system is: 10.7.5

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And keep out of the reach of AV software as there are no Mac OS X viruses. Also if troubles continue consider Adware Medic to handle this.

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

OP
I
Reaction score
I use Safari.
AdBlock, Adware Medic… are those softwares? I will look into it.
I am planning on installing and running the ClamXav software. This should be safe, right?

thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes if you must go with ClamXAV. Personally since OS X came out eleven years ago never found the need to run AV software.

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi

I installed AdBlock, also adware medic detected some adware installed. I still get the advertisement, although, AdBlock is blocking it. I can only see red in that little window that pops, after installing the AdBlock. What puzzles me is that I still am getting those advertisements, when before there was nothing… Why? I also run ClamXav, but not much fixed

thanx again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
AdWare is a growing problem. See my signature for solutions.

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi
Would deleting my Safari and installing again make any difference? The ads are still coming (although blocked by AdBlock).

Thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't think the operating system will actually let you delete Safari without turning it into a Hack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.