File Location query after using Migration Assistant

Reaction score
I'm just getting to grips with my first iMac. I used it for a while and then went about transferring files from my old Windows machine via the Migration Assistant.

All went well with the transfer until afterwards I found that the transferred files had somehow been deposited in a different - new - user group.

Ideally, I want all my files together, so how best can I restore these transferred files etc. to my 'master' user group, or is it easier to delete them all and re-do the migration? At the moment I'm using fast user switching.

M

MacInWin

MA put the migrated files in a new account, named after the source of the files. That is how it works. If you use MA BEFORE you create your own account, then the files will end up in your new account, but since you created your account and then migrated, MA did was it is programmed to do. It's that way so that it doesn't overwrite something you may have created in YOUR account with something from the OLD machine.

The easiest way to move them is to move them into the Shared folders, then move them from the shared folders to your folders. That is a relatively painless way to get them moved as you can move whole folder structures at once that way. Just make sure you have sufficient space on the hard drive to do that, and I would COPY them to shared, then MOVE them from shared to your folder, then go back and delete them from the account MA created. That way if anything goes wrong in the transfer, you don't have to go all the way back to MA again.

Oh, and welcome to the Forums!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Kudos Jake. Once again I missed the obvious solution the first time I read this thread. I see you have probably solved the other Migration Assistant thread as well.

Might have to include a discussion of Migration Assistant on tomorrow's chat as well. Too bad you are busy it's shaping up to be the Jake's tips show.

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Jake and thank you for that explanation and solution.

I'm certainly enjoying my iMac, and feel that I will probably be back in the future - some things are strange to a vintage Windows man!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Kudos Jake. Once again I missed the obvious solution the first time I read this thread. I see you have probably solved the other Migration Assistant thread as well.

Might have to include a discussion of Migration Assistant on tomorrow's chat as well. Too bad you are busy it's shaping up to be the Jake's tips show.

Maybe we can talk Jake into writing a blog for us on how to properly use the "Migration Assistant"?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sounds like a good idea. I haven't had many problems with Migration Assistant but then I usually use it right off the bat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.