• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Popups, unwanted extensions, malware etc.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Recently there have been a lot of posts and threads discussing unwanted advertising, popups and malware that has installed itself via seemingly innocent links and downloads. Firstly let me say I think it may be a little unfair to single out cnet and macdownload as has been mentioned, any download is potentially dangerous these days. I subscribe to the cnet email newsletter and have done for years. I often click on links to products sites and have never had a problem but then I do use adblocker plus and use a VPN. What I will say is if the site requires you to download their desktop or download application first, stay well away from it. Such sites are often good sources for finding apps you may want, like a big department store but downloading direct from the developer is generally much safer and just as easy. Whenever a piece of software is downloaded in compressed form a warning is given before opening, "This is software downloaded from the internet are you sure you want to open it?" or words to that effect it's obviously a warning but what to do? I have often thought it would be good if that warning included the suggestion that a full backup should be performed before opening as a precaution. We cannot just assume that users will, after spending time and download quotas suddenly decide not to open the file. It's all very well to put up a "Caution" sign but if no alternative is suggested well what to do?
If there was a caution sign or a danger sign on a roadway we would ask "caution why?" Danger of what? Would we turn around and go back? I don't think so, we may proceed with caution but if we don't know what to look for, if we're not given more information how can we be prepared?
Since Time Machine is native why not include a suggestion to use TM for a full backup prior to opening the file?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.