Potiential Switcher needs opinions

T

teh_sAbEr

Hi all, i'm new to the forums and to the whole mac world for that matter. I'm thinking of switching from my Windows PC to an iMac and i'd like some of your opinions regarding some things. For the record i've got my mind set on a 17" Intel iMac, and I plan on doing a decent amount of gaming on it.

1. Games. How do you feel they play on an iMac, especially since it uses an LCD screen?? I was REALLY surprised when I saw the games list on the Apple website, I honestly didn't expect to find that many GOOD ports to Mac. I was kinda disappointed when I found out that some games needed universal binaries to run properly on the new Intel iMacs, though.

2. The LCD screen. I'm a bit concerned about the LCD screen in general, seeing as its..well..an LCD screen. How does it do with gaming and movies in general? I plan on doing a lot of both :).

3. The OS. Do you think its easy to use/maintain? How about software installation? I remember switching to Linux from Windows *cringe*. Its a great OS, has LOADS of free software, but it was SOOO hard to get used to, seeing as even on Mandrake (supposedly a very newbie-friendly Linux distro) I had to come to grips with dozens of console commands just to keep the OS working right, the various file formats (.tar.gz, .bzip, .rpm), the "download source->compile it" method of installing programs, and the super hard updating system (at least I think so). I'm hoping for something MUCH, MUCH simpler to use.

4. The hardware. More specifically, the graphics card. I was thinking of getting the 20" iMac because I have the option of getting the 256 MB version of the X1600, but its also got a 20" screen. Mid-range cards like the X1600 aren't really known for their ability to hold playable framrates at full detail on a 20" LCD screen. Of course, if the screen interpolates well, thats another story. Does the screen allow you to change the image-stretching options (sorry, I forgot the term they use for that..)? I wouldn't mind playing my games with a black border around the screen, just as long as the image is clear and it runs smoothly :).

5. Universal Binaries. I know that UT2k4, Zoo Tycoon 2 and WoW all have Universal Binaries out for the new Intel platform, but what about other games? I read on another forum that Halo and MoH Spearhead work fine without them, and that Universal Binaries may not even be needed for some of the games out there. Is there a list I can refer to?

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
If all you want to do is play games go with a PC.

I brought a 20" iMac yesterday and it is great. The screen is great detail and very very clear and bright.

Your choice really but the mac is easy to use and very good. However you can get a better Windows dedicatd gaming machine if that is what you really want to do.

OP
T

teh_sAbEr

Well, I've already thought about going Windows, and i've decided to go iMac instead. Theres a bunch of reasons for this, one of which being the price for a copy of the Windows OS and another being its license not allowing you to install it on more than 2 computers.

OP
E

Emuleem22

I am a VERY recent switcher from Windows to Mac, so what I'll tell you is not what I've known to love about mac(=biased opinion favoring mac), but what I immediately fell in love with as a switcher.

>>1. Games. How do you feel they play on an iMac, especially since it uses an LCD screen?? I was REALLY surprised when I saw the games list on the Apple website, I honestly didn't expect to find that many GOOD ports to Mac. I was kinda disappointed when I found out that some games needed universal binaries to run properly on the new Intel iMacs, though.

I just bought a 20" iMac, and ran WoW. Honestly, as a guy who's been used to playing games on P4 3Ghz, 256 Radeon X800 Pro, with 2 GB RAM, gaming on iMac is not the most thrilling experience. And like you said, 20" does ask for too much horse power for x1600/128mb to handle. I had to drop the details level of everything and look distance to about a half for acceptable framerate. But on the other hand, I've never used a computer on such a big monitor, so my gaming screen being so gigantic is a satisfying way to sacrfice some texture details. =)

>>2. The LCD screen. I'm a bit concerned about the LCD screen in general, seeing as its..well..an LCD screen. How does it do with gaming and movies in general? I plan on doing a lot of both :).

Seriously, you won't go wrong with these screens on iMacs. I mean, if you've been to Apple stores, I think you've seen them. Aren't they beautiful?? I've been using PC laptops with ridiculously good viewing angle(Motioncomputing M1400 with ViewAnywhere screen), and my desktop monitor was (although rather small) very good too. But even then, iMac screen is such a pleasure to look at. In fact, now, I would prefer iMac screens over my other monitors. I watched a DVD movie on the first day I bought this, and it was like a home theatre.

>>3. The OS. Do you think its easy to use/maintain? How about software installation? I remember switching to Linux from Windows *cringe*. Its a great OS, has LOADS of free software, but it was SOOO hard to get used to, seeing as even on Mandrake (supposedly a very newbie-friendly Linux distro) I had to come to grips with dozens of console commands just to keep the OS working right, the various file formats (.tar.gz, .bzip, .rpm), the "download source->compile it" method of installing programs, and the super hard updating system (at least I think so). I'm hoping for something MUCH, MUCH simpler to use.

One thing I switched to Mac is for its OS. I like Windows and all, and since we're used to it, I bet you can find apps that'll do what you want it to do really fast, for free, and in that sense, Mac might feel a little restricted (at least for us newbies who are barely getting used to mac file extentions). But as far as using what's given to you when you start using the OS, everything is intuitive, easy to use, makes sense, stable, and most importantly, FUN to use. You might have to get used to the fact that, applications are no longer in the Program Files, but instead, in the "Applications" folder,,, which makes a lot of sense =). Software installations are very easy, but I do get confused sometimes. Some apps, it's just a matter of you drag-and-dropping a file into the application folder and you're done installing (actually, you could keep that file whereever you feel like keepint it, like, on desktop, I think... but it's easier to locate things when you know all apps are in the Applications folder), and some apps, it'll have an installation wizard that'll walk you through, which is just like the ones on PCs. Well, that doesn't sound confusing at all, but that drag-and-drop part felt really uncomfortable for me, because I wouldn't know if that one icon is the entire application or if there's a folder somewhere else, and to be able to freely drag and drop it wherever seemed a little suspecious at first. Same goes for uninstalling, which is, drag-and-dropping application folder(or icon) into the trash.... but nonetheless, it all makes sense once you get rid of your Windows-mind.
Sorry, I could go on, but to sum it up. Mac OS X is the easiest OS I've used. Managing files is like cleaning your room. What looks orderly is really in order. I don't think I am a total newbie when it comes to Windows, but I still spent waay too much time trouble shooting it than I actually spent time working on something. With Mac OS X, the moment you have the OS, the rest of the time in your life is for you to work on what you want to and have to (given that you've purchased the software for your work). Things like FrontRow is more gimmicky than anything, BUT, it's still cool and I'm addicted.

>>4. The hardware. More specifically, the graphics card. I was thinking of getting the 20" iMac because I have the option of getting the 256 MB version of the X1600, but its also got a 20" screen. Mid-range cards like the X1600 aren't really known for their ability to hold playable framrates at full detail on a 20" LCD screen. Of course, if the screen interpolates well, thats another story. Does the screen allow you to change the image-stretching options (sorry, I forgot the term they use for that..)? I wouldn't mind playing my games with a black border around the screen, just as long as the image is clear and it runs smoothly :).

Kind of goes along with what I told you above, but anyway, if you really are looking to play a lot of games, then you might as well steer away from iMac and get their desktops. You already have a monitor too, right? I used to use PC for a lot of gaming too, but now with OS X, I feel like I want to work and study!

>>5. Universal Binaries. I know that UT2k4, Zoo Tycoon 2 and WoW all have Universal Binaries out for the new Intel platform, but what about other games? I read on another forum that Halo and MoH Spearhead work fine without them, and that Universal Binaries may not even be needed for some of the games out there. Is there a list I can refer to?

I couldn't help you with this. I don't know of a list or anything. But remember, if you're buying an iMac, that means the only thing you're going to be able to upgrade later is its RAM (forgive me if I'm wrong, but at least that's as far as my newbie skill would allow). Things will be out-dated, and such a day would come really fast especially in the graphic card department. (i mean, come on, it's x1600) If you really take gaming seriously, buy what's suited for gaming, and not an iMac. For all other purposes though, iMac is the way to go in my very honest opinion.

OP
T

teh_sAbEr

Well, the reason I picked the iMac was its size, and believe it or not i'm actually trying to cut down on the gaming, I was just worried that the ones that I did want to play wouldn't run on the new Intel. I do know about their desktops but i'm looking to save space. Anyways, thanks for the reply, it really helped.

EDIT: I noticed while looking through the forums that numerous references were made to "bash", "root" and "chmod" commands. I know all those commands are from Linux/Unix and was wondering if the Mac OS (seeing as its UNIX based) came with a much easier way to handle console tasks like changing permissions. My worry is that OSX might turn into another console-command typing fiasco for me.

Reaction score
I'm a recent switcher too (well no that's not true as I still have a desktop pc, but I use a powerbook too). To answer your question about console-command typing. This is where I think OSX is great because it has all the power of a unix console, but only if you want to use it. You can change file permissions from the GUI easily (just select a file and "get info" on the file, you get a popup window and in there is a drop down menu to change permissions). In my experience it's very very rare that you will need to use the terminal (especially for day to day tasks).

Installing apps is very easy too, like emuleem22 said, sometimes you get .pkg files which you just have to double clck to run a wizard to install, but most of the time it's just a .app file which you can drag and drop into your applications folder.

Updating is breeze too, all of Apples applications (like iLife) and OS updates are all handled through the software update application (basically you run it, it checks if there are updates, if there are then you can choose what you want to update at this moment in time, then you just enter your password and it downloads and installs all the updates). Also, most 3rd party applications come with an option to check the web for new updates. Normally you can just drag and drop a newer version of a .app into your applications folder and it will tell you that you will be replacing an older version and your done.

I don't use my powerbook for games, but about LCDs for games...I think there is a general consensus amoung the online community that LCDs are ok for games now (it used to be that "LCD sucks for games because of ghosting") generally speaking. The iMacs definatly have nice screens and are great for dvds too, and I've not heard of people complaining about ghosting either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
The LCD is fine for movies, very bright and very crisp. Honestly, gaming is not something I would want to do on an iMac, but I never played games on Windows pc's either. Can't help with that question.

As for the Linux/Windows vs OS X, I can help. I've used Windows 3.1-XP, and every remotely 'popular' distribution of Linux (Red Hat, Fedora, Mandrake, Gentoo etc...) OS X has the power of UNIX which I love. I can go into the terminal if I want, and things are familiar having come from Linux. But, I NEVER have to go into the terminal, I have not once needed to use it other than when I wanted to 'play' in it.

There is very little maintenance on the Mac. Really all I do is delete old files that I don't need and repair my permissions (Run 'Disk Utility' and click 'Repair Permissions') once a month. I also usually reboot around once every 2 weeks. In fact, I'm on 21 days of being logged in solidly according to a dashboard widget, so I am a bit over due, but there is really no reason I 'have' to reboot, I just like to do it every once in a while.

Also, in my experiences, it doesn't take long for Windows to get 'corrupt' I guess you could call it. You know how after a month or two it starts to slow down and get a little buggier and eventually you do a fresh install? My iMac is coming to 1 year of solid use, every day, and it is every bit as quick and stable as when I got it, if not more so.

So, basically, the only thing I would caution you on is the gaming. Some here may disagree, but the Mac really isn't the greatest gaming platform right now. Maybe it will all change as the intel transition continues.

Best of Luck,

OP
T

teh_sAbEr

Hmm, thanks for the info guys ill keep that in mind when i'm deciding what to buy. I have another question about the LCD, does it interpolate well? Is there an option to have a black border around the edges instead of it filling the screen completely?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, you can set the LCD to lower resolutions like 800x600 and it will have black borders, or you can do 800x600 (stretched) which I don't know why you would want it to strech like that, but it can. At least on my G5 this is true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
claudius753 said:
Yes, you can set the LCD to lower resolutions like 800x600 and it will have black borders, or you can do 800x600 (stretched) which I don't know why you would want it to strech like that, but it can. At least on my G5 this is true.

also true on my powerbook.. pretty sure it can also be done on the imac, although sometimes pro-level systems have different capabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually I have an iMac G5, I guess G5 sort of implicated PowerMac. Freudian slip :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
just so you know, mac gaming is becoming more and more popular >> a quick google search will show you that. Don't worry.. the big games will play on big macs :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
I switched over to mac about three weeks ago, so I can tell ya fresh as a former PC user.

If you're gonna do gaming, go with a PC, unless you like the selections of games already available for mac.
There is next to no software support for Intel Macs as of now. That will change probably within a few months or so, but take this into consideration.
If you're worried about the screen, fear not! It's AMAZING! DVD's play with such high quality, I rarely use my TV for DVD's anymore.

Yes, you can fit the screen to have black edges on the side. There are a load of screen resolutions.

BTW, if you're obsessed with WoW, and that's gonna be your main game, GET A MAC NOW!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Also, in my experiences, it doesn't take long for Windows to get 'corrupt' I guess you could call it. You know how after a month or two it starts to slow down and get a little buggier and eventually you do a fresh install? My iMac is coming to 1 year of solid use, every day, and it is every bit as quick and stable as when I got it, if not more so.

So true, now days my Pc takes 4 minutes to boot and doesn't has a Task manager anymore, and this system less less than 6 months old! My mini is powering along as fast as the day I got it over a year ago.

OP
T

teh_sAbEr

So true, now days my Pc takes 4 minutes to boot and doesn't has a Task manager anymore, and this system less less than 6 months old! My mini is powering along as fast as the day I got it over a year ago.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Right now my Win XP PC is really slow, and I think the way to fix that would be a quick HD Defragment. Although I don't really see why you need to do that, Linux doesn't need defragmenting.

OP
K

Kokopelli

teh_sAbEr said:
EDIT: I noticed while looking through the forums that numerous references were made to "bash", "root" and "chmod" commands. I know all those commands are from Linux/Unix and was wondering if the Mac OS (seeing as its UNIX based) came with a much easier way to handle console tasks like changing permissions. My worry is that OSX might turn into another console-command typing fiasco for me.

It is actually a rarity that you need to go to the command line, if ever. When not sitting in front of the box though a command line is easier to describe than a GUI command. Also some, more complex, tasks are easier from the command line. On the other hand I know Mac users with years of experience who have never touched the terminal. Mostly it is a matter of preference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.