• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

EyeTV Quality?

S

SogniX

I've been wanting to watch TV on my 20" iMac, as I don't pay any attention to my TiVo, and I'm really disappointed that I can't watch TiVo on my Mac. :(

So I was thinking of either getting a TV Tuner or a DV Bridge (to connect TiVo to it), but I really like the idea of being able to control everything on the screen, so I'm leaning more toward a TV Tuner (EyeTV? Other?).

I was at my local CompUSA and they had a (non-EyeTV) TV tuner on an iMac and the quality was OK in a window, but it was horrible full-screen.

Which made me wonder and want to ask EyeTV owners, what is the quality of EyeTV is at full-screen?

Thinking of getting the EyeTV EZ.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
I have been wondering the same thing. I also was thinking about picking one up. The only feedbac I have gotten was at the apple store where an employee said he loved his.

Thanks,

OP
S

SogniX

I actually went ahead and bought the EyeTV EZ (USB)
And, it's "OK"... the quality is not as great as I was expecting (20" iMac... I was expecting BEAUTIFUL signal - at least from the PS2), but it's still good enough to replace my TV.

I think I would be a lot happier with it when it's a Universal Binary.

I want to write a review of it, but my camera died. :/

The unit is tiny, and plugs into your computer via USB, so no iMovie or other use for it other than via the EyeTV app as far as I can figure out.

To hook up a console to it, it has this cable that looks like "tentacles" that you plug into the front of the unit (yes, the front!!!) where you plug in the RCA cables for video and sound, or the SVideo cable. And it has a useless, yet super bright "Status" light that is always on as long as EyeTV is running - even if you are not watching or recording anything. Which is really annoying as it adds to the things that light up my bedroom when I'm trying to sleep. I swear - I'm going to take black electrical tape to just about everything! :p

Recording TV takes a lot of processing power and RAM - but I think that's because of Rosetta, I hope this will not be the case once it's a Universal Binary.

But, the main reason why I got it - to Game, IT CAN GAME!!! :)
No lag as far as I can tell (unless you want to record the game - then there's major lag), and I tried some higher paced action games (well, at least Street Fighter Anniversary Edition and Need For Speed Most Wanted).
Watching TV is fine, but it does not record Live TV like a TiVo does unless you tell it to start recording.

The only really annoying thing about it (other than the tentacles sticking out of the front of it's small body and super-bright status light), is that every now and then the signal would get garbled, requiring to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable. Which I've only noticed while leaving it recording shows overnight, which only happened twice since I got it so it's kind of rare.

I'd still recommend it, but I think I'll be keeping my TiVo for now. I'll just hook it up to EyeTV. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.