• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Bringing DVDs into my mac for iMovie

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm currently a little bit stuck with my project. Let me explain it to you. In about 9 months from now, I will be celebrating our 10 years wedding. I would to create a commemorative DVD with 10 years of pictures and movies. Throughout the years, I created many DVD's of our vacations, and unfortunately for me, all the original movie content has been lost. All I have left are the DVD I've created (as the sticky mentioned it, the purpose of this ripping is not related to something illegal. They all are mine, nothing commercial).

Now, I would like to be able to reimport all those movies and make them available for iMovie (maybe final cut if I get a chance to buy it in the next months), and remake a new movie for the 10 years celebration : a mix of pictures and movies, took in our ten years (for the pictures, surprisingly, I've got them all !)

I've been searching different forums and found out that Handbrake could be a nice program to be able to do that.

- Do you think guys this is the method to go, or do you know an easier way to do that ?
- What format should I import into in order to be able to use it inside iMovie ?

Many thanks for your answers and help on this purpose.

For those wanting to know, I have two macs, one iMac with 1Tb storage, and a MacBook Air (but I don't think I will use it for that, since the files could be quite large and only have 250 Gb on it. Just my pics already take 80 Gb of pictures.). Both are running under Mavericks.

Thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Use Handbrake, and choose the mp4 option under Handbrake's Output Settings.

Reaction score
problem if the dvd is locked he is going to need a dvd ripper a lot of conversion videos that where transferred from video tape vhs and other sources are usually locked by photo Stores

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
problem if the dvd is locked
They're his own dvds, so not a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.