Running a windows disc

Reaction score
Hi, I have a cd disc that came with a crafting item I purchased, it states it will only play on windows. Is there any way I can run it on my Macbook pro?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If it plays on Windows, it only plays on Windows. Simple.

There is a possibility that it might run through other schemes, but you didn't say what it is so we can't guess and help.

pbd

Reaction score
Sometimes these craft discs do work on Mac, albeit in a different way than on Windows. They appear as files which you can open individually once you have put the disk in and opened it. The Crafters Companion ones (and probably some others) are presented in a programme that only Windows can open but the individual elements can still be opened and printed off. I've done this myself because when I want to manipulate items the programme sometimes won't let me do it. Create and Craft presenters on television often explain this when they are introducing the CDs/DVDs. I would imagine that the ones that include a graphics suite might not work though. Thinking of the Serif DigiKits. I'm not sure about tutorial ones but do try it and see if it works. You maybe able to get information from it, albeit not in the way that Windows does it. Good luck and it would be nice to know how you get on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBAir
You should be able to browse the CD to see if there are any PDFs or videos. Most tutorial disks bundle the files in an application but you can find the files and open them separately.
You can also run a windows virtual environment. I use VirtualBox, it is like VMWare or Parallels except it is free. You need to provide a windows install though.
www.virtualbox.org

pbd

Reaction score
I was just recollecting that occasionally I've come across craft discs that use Adobe Reader. On Windows I use Foxit Reader but these particular discs would not play so I had to download AR to view them. If your disc uses Adobe Reader then you are in luck because they might be viewable in Preview. if not, the Adobe programme can be installed on a Mac.

Reaction score
you can also use wineskin its free and it runs certain windows games on mac by converting them to mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.