iTunes question

Reaction score
I've had several people tell me that when they updated itunes it erased or in some other way completely disrupted their music files. Has anyone experience this happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That's why so many suggest having a current updated working backup - just in case.

Even Apple often has such a warning, but maybe buried a bit in the update notice - for those that even bother to read them.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Having a current backup is always a good idea. I can attest to that on the basis of a few iTunes media disasters myself. Usually the result of hard drive failures with little or no warning.

In all seriousness loss of the music library during an update isn't what I would call common. Often it's the result of user error or other easily explainable issues.

OP
J
Reaction score
Would updating iTunes somehow cause a break in the link to the tune file in the Finder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
yes but only on windows vista have i experienced this bug it is because microsoft released a patch that removes malware and spyware and looks for digital signatures on files because iTunes is signed by apple vista thinks its a malware program and removes music from iTunes this seems to happen rarely like 1 in 99 million rare

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.