Installing and up grades

Reaction score
i try to sign in my MSN messenger, it said the was a new version do i want to upgrade, so i did.

the file it downloaded for me was "messenger.bin.uncompressed"
What am i supposed to do with it?, i double click nothing happens.

I am finding installing things on a Mac very confussing as differant softwares have differant ways to install, its not easy for a New Be, the easiest one to install was office caus it was just like a PC has a wizard, you go next next, and its all done?>

I got no idea whats going on with some of these programs, and uninstalling is a mystery too??

Reaction score
Well installing is actually simpler than on a pc.

Applications can be installed using 3 methods:

1. Drag and Drop into Apps folder
2. Apple Installer Wizard (launches for most Apple products)
3. Vise Installer Wizard

Now the file you downloaded seems total nonsense, and this is a fault mith Microsoft's MsN for Mac.

As a switcher, a would recommend you use AdiumX for Msn. It's far better.
Or, you could simply download messenger for mac from the official site.

E

Emuleem22

Yeah, I got that weird file and didn't know what to do with it. I just went to the official website (type in msn messenger for mac or something on google) and downloaded an executable file. =)

OP
A
Reaction score
yogi said:
Well installing is actually simpler than on a pc.

Applications can be installed using 3 methods:

1. Drag and Drop into Apps folder
2. Apple Installer Wizard (launches for most Apple products)
3. Vise Installer Wizard

Now the file you downloaded seems total nonsense, and this is a fault mith Microsoft's MsN for Mac.

As a switcher, a would recommend you use AdiumX for Msn. It's far better.
Or, you could simply download messenger for mac from the official site.

there is no way its easier to install apps on the Mac then the PC, PC Apps are all the same, next next next, so easy, Mac Apps are confusing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
applepissue said:
there is no way its easier to install apps on the Mac then the PC, PC Apps are all the same, next next next, so easy, Mac Apps are confusing

I haven't had a hard-to-install Mac app. Ever. Name these "hard-to-install" programs, please.

Also, uninstalling apps on a Mac (at least logically) is much easier to. You don't have to waste time going through an "uninstaller wizard", just drag the app to the trash and it's gone.

S

sydneylad123

Ex PC user here... some of the mac software / upgrades have been tooooo easy to install... click one button, all done.... we like those ones!!!! for the ones where the app needed to be moved from the HD to the apps folder, I figured it was a case of drag and drop... turned out to be not quite that easy nor intuitive, but getting the hang of it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mini Single Core/ 1GB RAM/ Superdrive: Ipod Nano 2GB
sydneylad123 said:
Ex PC user here... some of the mac software / upgrades have been tooooo easy to install... click one button, all done.... we like those ones!!!! for the ones where the app needed to be moved from the HD to the apps folder, I figured it was a case of drag and drop... turned out to be not quite that easy nor intuitive, but getting the hang of it...

Welcome aboard, I'm a recent convert myself. I, too, had to read up on saving and installing apps as there was a little more to it than I thought. Yet, once you get better aquainted with OSX, the more you won't want to go back to Windoze :biohazard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.