• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Upcoming Apple Music Service

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Source: MacCentral

Writing for the Los Angeles Times, Jon Healey said that executives from leading music publishing labels are supportive of an as-yet unannounced music service from Apple. Details of the service are in a new article called Labels think Apple has perfect pitch [Free registration required].

The LA Times noted that Apple has developed a new service exclusively for Mac and iPod users to enable them to buy and download commercially available music in a simple, non-technical way. One source called Apple's solution the answer for people "interested in buying music, not just stealing it."

The LA Times reports that Apple's new music service will debut with a forthcoming release of iTunes, and will eschew the popular MP3 format for Advanced Audio Codec, or AAC -- a component of QuickTime 6. The report said that consumer costs would be in-line with other commercial download services like Pressplay.

The Times couldn't get any hard info or comments on this alleged service from Apple, however, or from any of the five major record corporations -- Sony, AOL Time Warner, Vivendi Universal, Bertelsmann or EMI Group.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From MacRumors.com:

An LA Times article (registration required) confirms previous rumors of an Apple Music service:

Although no licensing deals have been announced, sources close to the situation say at least four of the five major record companies have committed their music to the Apple service. It could be launched next month.
According to the article, the new service will be enabled through a new version of iTunes and will utilize the AAC audio format (MPEG4). While MPEG4 allows for Digital Rights Management (DRM), Apple appears to be trying to avoid such limitations:

That approach [using AAC] allows the songs to be protected by electronic locks that prevent them from being played on more than one computer. Still, sources say, Apple wants to enable buyers to burn songs onto CDs. That feature would effectively remove the locks.
Previous rumors provided some additional details including a $.99 price point and the use of the "One-Click" system for purchases.

The use of AAC would imply future support for the format in Apple's iPods, and a "next month" launch would correspond to the most recent iTunes rumors.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Another piece in the digital hub puzzle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well put.

You know, when I read this on Macfora they did a poor job of describing it and I thought it was something different. gj schweb
Now that I read it like that I think i would register and sign up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Was listening to NPR the other night and there was a discussion about this. CD's are dead. The selling of music is dead. Who wants to pay $15 for stuff that usually turns out to be complete crap ( the music that is )? The music industry is switching over to a service based model like the rest of the economy. Stuff like concerts, and on demand video is the future. A lot of the "indy" labels are already doing this. One guy said that EVERY CD he produces comes with like 3-4 hours of DVD video. That I would pay for. Record labels will soon be extinct as well. Or rather the way they "rape" their talent and the public, will be extinct. And they will only survive if they get out of their old model of business and adopt the new. With Mpeg4, the quality will get better and the file sizes will get smaller. And now they will be able to stream stuff at a decent rate, without having to have T1 piped into your house.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very interesting point Emrys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, I have not bought a cd i have been disappointed with since Creed - Human Clay.. since then I hvnt found crap. I generally go for bands that are new, because they rnt tainted with money yet.

But like rman said, interesting point.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's more...
Source: News.com

Apple Computer is preparing an online music-buying service for Macintosh and iPod users and is close to winning many of the licenses it needs from major record labels, sources familiar with the negotiations said.
The service, first reported by The Los Angeles Times, would be the first legal online music service targeted specifically at Apple owners. Most of the other authorized subscription plans, including Pressplay, MusicNet, and Listen.com's Rhapsody, still lack support for Macintosh computers. Apple users have long had access to an assortment of file-swapping services, however.

The service could also go a long way toward repairing Apple's strained relationships with content owners, stemming from the company's high-profile advertising campaign, which touted the arrival of Macs with CD burners with the slogan: "Rip. Mix. Burn."

No details on pricing or possible content-protection technology were immediately available. Apple declined to comment on the service.

Apple has previously found itself snubbed by most of the early movie and music subscription services, in part because of its refusal to build strict digital rights management tools into its products.

The company has tried to stake what it sees as a middle ground in the digital copyright arena, supporting the position of copyright holders while ultimately leaving the decisions in the hands of its customers. With the iPod, for example, Apple has a synching feature that, when enabled, limits the digital music player to sharing music with one computer. By disabling that feature, an iPod user can allow the device to swap tunes with any number of Macs.

"Piracy is not a technological issue. It's a behavior issue," Apple CEO Steve Jobs said when the iPod was introduced in October 2001.

As for copy protection, Apple includes none with the iPod currently, though the device does come in a plastic wrap that admonishes in English, French, German and Japanese: "Don't steal music."

Jobs said that all the encryption schemes that have been developed can also be cracked, and he made the case that Apple understands where the record companies are coming from. "We own a lot of intellectual property ourselves. We're one of the few companies in the industry that does," Jobs said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Originally posted by schweb@Mar 4 2003, 04:01 PM
"We own a lot of intellectual property ourselves. We're one of the few companies in the industry that does," Jobs said.
hey Bill Gates. put that in your pipe and smoke it :p :D

as for the record industry......

ive said it once, ill say it again.. the RIAA is going to cause their own downfall. there are so many more options than to try and crack down on piracy of downloaded music or copying from iPods.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with mac addikt.

People will always find a way to create illegal copies of music, its the 'easier' way, humans are naturally going to go the easy way out. "behavior issue." is 100% correct.

I just cannot see my self paying for songs I already have (how can you tell the diff between a copy of a song you own on cd and a copy you downloaded?) and I cannot see myself paying $1.00 per song, to have a digital intangible copy, over a $16.00 cd with 16 songs on it which is a 'hard' copy. **** if all of your muisc was digital and you couldn't make a hard copy... what happens if your HD is erased? Online data base, what happens if that gets erased? Your property is basically stolen.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Music industry will have to adjust the way they do business, if they want to survive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.