Apple Passwords

Reaction score
I'm so disgusted with all of the Apple passwords...I can't seem to get them straight. I have an iMac, iPad and AppleTV. I was asked to put in my password for AppleTV that is associated with my Apple ID. I did that and it said it was wrong...then I proceeded to put in other passwords...each of which was denied. I then had my AppleID password reset...went back to AppleTV, and it still said it was wrong. Latter that night, I tried an AirPlay, and it worked fine. Any idea as to what I'm doing incorrectly? Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm so disgusted with all of the Apple passwords...I can't seem to get them straight.

Do you really think that this password situation is unique to Apple. Everyone with every computer brand (Apple or whatever)…has the same problem. It's not a "computer brand thing"…it's an organizational thing we all have to deal with.

You simply need to find a organizational method that works for you to keep track of passwords (Apple or otherwise).:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

Except the Rule of Common Sense, which says that if you use the same password for everything, anyone who figures out your password will have the keys to your entire kingdom ...

Your Apple ID and its associated password work for (among other things) iCloud Mail, syncing, the various Apple media stores, the Mac and iOS App Stores, Find My iPhone, iTunes Radio, iTunes Match, and more. That is one password that should be strong (as we've all learned this week) and best preserved in iCloud Keychain so you don't have to try and memorize it.

In this specific case, I believe you happened to access the Apple TV during a period where Apple was having iCloud issues. The problem persisted for about 5.5 hours, but not all users were affected (I was aware of the outage but it did not affect me at all). Once the outage passed, your old password was probably restored.

Apple had another such outage today for about 3.5 hours. Again, I checked with colleagues across the US and none of them were affected, by the system status page doesn't lie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
I do have to admit, i am experiencing the same password problem as well this year.
my iCloud works, but my ID support does not, both were 2 different passwords.
i guess when I re-set all my 2010 apple products to their original OS, i might get a new username, but that is a lame resolution.

C

chas_m

I do have to admit, i am experiencing the same password problem as well this year.
my iCloud works, but my ID support does not, both were 2 different passwords.
i guess when I re-set all my 2010 apple products to their original OS, i might get a new username, but that is a lame resolution.

If you can sign into iCloud, then you have two different Apple IDs (at least). One of which no longer works.

The login to iCloud **is** your active Apple ID.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Here's what I do. Had the same problem with Win, Linux etc. I now have a spiral book I keep all my password in. Maybe not the safest thing but I can put my hands on those passwords real quick. Plus they are in a kind of a code. Only I know what they mean. Sorry folk, just can't remember them all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Plus they are in a kind of a code. Only I know what they mean. Sorry folk, just can't remember them all.

Not a very good system. What happens when your time on earth is up? Will your heirs be able to figure out what that code is?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.