How to make iTunes the default player for ALL audio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Looking for the "Use iTunes as the default player for all audio files" option.

I want to use iTunes for all audio: YouTube, random videos (like found on Yahoo!, etc.), all and whatever.

I hope it's possible.

Running Mavericks, but Chrome browser, mid-'11 iMac.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I want to use iTunes for all audio: YouTube, random videos (like found on Yahoo!, etc.), all and whatever.
This doesn't make much sense as iTunes is a media player and doesn't manage audio. What are you trying to accomplish?

C

chas_m

iTunes doesn't manage audio??

But to answer the OP's question, the answer is no: iTunes cannot play all audio from any source. It can be the default player for all *compatible* audio files on your drive, but there are some formats it doesn't play (like FLAC), and it doesn't play audio from YouTube etc unless you've downloaded that video and imported it into iTunes.

As Van says, not sure what you're wanting to accomplish.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I'm trying to accomplish this because I stream Internet radio continuously (through iTunes) and other audio sources play over it when I click on say, a YT video.

I can make the radio default to another player beside iTunes, if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Sounds like you need something like Rouge Amoeba's ~ AirFoil . . I bought it and you can change it to play music from all different sources, and Apps. Spotify, to iTunes, Safari, and the list goes on. One of the most solid purchases I have ever made. And don't forget to check out their Airfoil Remote for iOS

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I still don't know what you're trying to accomplish. iTunes and YouTube are mutually exclusive and can't be integrated with each other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I still don't know what you're trying to accomplish. iTunes and YouTube are mutually exclusive and can't be integrated with each other.

Thats what he is saying Van, he is Streaming Music via iTunes, playing, playing, and then clicks on YouTube and the Audio from that plays as well, and now he has iTunes Radio going hard, and with Youtube across the top of it . . .

Well thats my take on it . . He wants 1 Audio at a time, and Airfoil will do this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.