Login password

pbd

Reaction score
When I set up my Macbook Pro (Mavericks) I did not set a login password. This was a mistake and I want to rectify it. I can find out how to change the password in System Preferences > Security and Privacy but cannot see how to set one. I tried to do this by leaving the existing password box empty (which it is because there is no password set) but it returns an error. I have googled it but am going around in circles. Please can somebody help? :[

Reaction score
You actually do have a login password .. you just don't have login preferences set to ask you for it.

System Preferences > Users&Groups
Login Options (will likely have to unlock this .. click on lock in lower left)
Set Automatic login to: Off

OP
P

pbd

Reaction score
Thank you. I've done that. Presumably I now have to log out, log in again whereupon I will be asked to set a password?

Reaction score
Thank you. I've done that. Presumably I now have to log out, log in again whereupon I will be asked to set a password?

No ... you will be asked for the password that you already created when you setup the MBP.

M

MacInWin

Go to System Preferences, Users and Groups. Unlock by clicking on the padlock icon and provide an admin password. Create a new account with admin privileges. Now you can restart the system, log in to that new account, go back to System Preferences, Users and groups, unlock, select your original account and Reset password. Next time you log into that original account, you'll be prompted to create a new password.

OP
P

pbd

Reaction score
I can follow that but I will then have two accounts. Presumably I then delete the new one?
Thank you.

M

MacInWin

Yes, or just ignore it and leave it there. It won't take up much disc space and unless you log in, it's inactive. I find it nice to have a "clean" account when things go pear-shaped on my main account. I can check to see if the problem is unique to my account or more generic. 'Sup to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What's wrong with using the Users & Groups "Change Password"?

And if you didn't have an "Old password", just hit enter or return and carry on.

Or checkout Apple's kb article:
OS X Mavericks: Reset a login password

PS: I haven't used a password with my Mac user account for years, but they've also been behind password protected access points - router and/or airport base etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You did have a password - it was blank and was set when you hit ok. Follow pm-r's suggestion.

OP
P

pbd

Reaction score
Because I was terrified of locking myself out of my Macbook Pro I thought it might be best to contact the Apple helpline. The gentleman on the telephone confirmed (as has been pointed out in the thread) that yes, I did have a password - it was my Apple ID one. He talked me through the sequence from System Preferences and I was able to log in with that and subsequently change it (the password, not the Apple ID). Thank you very much for your help. I feel more secure now that the Mac is password protected. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.