Inspiron 700m

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing an Inspiron 700m as I need it for one of my college computer courses. Anyone here are the forums use them? If so, any pros or cons..besides the fact it runs windows. :headphone :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
youthpastor said:
I am looking at purchasing an Inspiron 700m as I need it for one of my college computer courses. Anyone here are the forums use them? If so, any pros or cons..besides the fact it runs windows. :headphone :)

I don't have one, but Dell generally makes good laptops. Why do you want a laptop with a 12" screen though? What kind of computer work will you be doing on it? Unless you have good vision, you will probably tire of working on the small screen for long periods of time. I'll leave out the obvious question of 'why not just buy a G4 laptop and VirtualPC?' ;) If you don't mind the extra weight, take a look at the Gateway MX7525 over at Best Buy. I have a previous-generation model, the 7405gx. 15.4" glossy widescreen, 2.6ghz Athlon 64 4000+ Mobile processor, built-in wireless G, DVD burner, 6-in-1 card reader, 100gb hard drive, up to 256mb x600 Radeon, 1gb ram, XP MCE, and loads of other goodies including a 4-pin Firewire port. It's a monster and is usually on sale for $1,200.

Edit: It seems as though you already have a G4 PowerBook (according to your sig). Why not just buy VirtualPC? Or are you running really intensive apps that won't work well on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Man, go for the XPS Laptop. They start at $900 I think, and they're built for gaming, so they are POWERFUL. I had an XPS M140, and honestly, I wasn't pleased with it, but it did give good performance. It just wasn't enough for me to handle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
OT a bit, but I just got a Gateway CX200X for work, it's a convertable tablet, and is about the coolest computer I've yet owned.

Anyways, It'd help to know what kind of class you will be taking and what use you'll put the laptop to. I've had good luck with Dells in the past, and the actual manufacturer is a Chinese company and they also produce laptops and iMacs for Apple (not sure if they are making the current MacBooks and iMacs though).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Don't listen to these guys, there is nothing wrong at all with a Windows Laptop. My old roommate bought a 700m when they first came out, and it is a great little machine. I loved it because it was ultraportable, much more so than even my 12" iBook. They have actually replaced the 700m with the 710m, but the only difference is the color of the case. As far as the XPS laptops, they aren't all their cracked up to be unless you get the highend gaming one with a true graphics card, but from what you said, I don't think you need it. The XPS140 that somebody mentioned shouldn't even be called an XPS machine. It has integrated intel graphics and is not made for gaming at all. It is actually a rebadged 630m. But back to the 700m, the only thing I didn't like about it was the small keyboard, took some getting used to. Good luck with your decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
EDIT-XTREEM said:
what courses?
Yeah, what gives?

Anyway, gotta go with Lenovo for Windows laptops. Dell is neither especially good, nor especially bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.