pixelmator install ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I'm going to buy and install pixelmator on my mac book pro.

I have read that Aperture is going away and will no longer be supported. If that's the case I would just as soon get it off my 256meg SSD. I'm not sure if pixelmator has a library or storage function built in. Guess I could use I-Photo library until the new app from Apple comes out.

I have I-Photo and Aperture installed now. Two questions.

1. Should I remove Aperture from my mac before installing pixelmator?

2. How should I remove Aperture without causing destruction to my photos?

What am I missing here? Sure don't want to lose any pictures and I do have time machine back up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know why you want to remove Aperture? It will continue to function but Apple will no longer update it. I would wait until the new Photo Application is released by Apple - possibly along with Yosemite or maybe later - before removing anything. Pixelmator does not take up much space at all and you can setup iPhoto to use Pixelmator as your photo editor.

C

chas_m

Apple has already said that Photos will not be coming out until after the new year.

Aperture is going to continue to work in Yosemite and may well continue to function in whatever comes after that, so in short you have at dead minimum over a year to worry about this.

Pixelmator does not have a library management function. It is an excellent image editor, but it is just that and nothing else.

PS. If you're not really using Aperture at all, you can remove it. The iPhoto app uses the same library, and you can in fact use the library interchangeably between them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
To answer the OP question, doesnt matter if you remove or leave Aperture installed. It will not effect Pixelmator in any shape or form. Pixelmator isnt a batch editor and their is no file manager for it. However it does have RAW and 16bit color per channel support. I actually released a Video Tutorial on Monday showing how to use it to adjust exposure, color and contrast for basic photography post processing. You can find that on my blog. As far as if you will loose your photos if you remove Aperture, I honestly dont know on this one, however you can simply export them to a new folder to just be safe. I also recommend a daily backup plan if you dont have one yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.