Big Data Transfer

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm transferring data from about 20 external drives to a Drobo 5D (20 TB raid). Is there a software or process out there to transfer all of my different files (approx 8 TB) besides Finder? While transferring large chunks of data in Finder, I'll have an error, then investigate, and start again from the error.

I've looked into Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper, but they seem to clone whole drives. Is there an easy way to have an error free, solid data transfer within Finder? Or which alternative is best for transferring specific folders? In my 2 hours of research I feel like I'm missing something simple.

Please advise.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Please do not cross post or post duplicate threads. Keep your question in one forum and continue until the thread is finished. Your dupe has been removed.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You can use CCC or SuperDuper to move batches of files fairly easily. Not on my Mac at the moment but the process is pretty simple. On the destination side leave files/folders to be copied checked.

OP
K
Reaction score
Understood about CCC or SD, but I haven't been able to find a way to move just one set of folders Vs an entire drive.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I finally understand it. I appreciate you for sending this link explaining it in such detail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
For a task like that, my first choice would be CCC, however grsync is also worth a mention, particularly for a one-off data transfer, and is free ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thank you so much! I finally understand it. I appreciate you for sending this link explaining it in such detail.

Glad that helped. I've tried several folder sync/transfer apps but not settled on one I like. Perhaps others will have a few ideas

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.