• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD Studio Pro 1 and 10.9.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Hello

Now that iDVD is no longer included with the software on a new Mackbook Pro, I am looking for a replacement.

I do all the complicated stuff in Final Cut - and then just put it on a DVD disc. So I don't need complicated disc burning software - just a pretty basic kit which will allow me to create menus and chapters and then slap the films onto it.

Seen a copy of DVD Studio Pro 1 on ebay. Is this too old to work on Mavericks? (Asked seller, but he doesn't know)

Thanks. CB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First question I usually ask is: Do you still have your older copy of iDVD? If you do, it will still work in Mavericks on your new MacBook Pro. If not....

Download and install the free open source "Burn" from SourceForge. It will do all that you need with Final Cut. Of course if you want to spend some $$$, buy the latest version of Roxio Toast.

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Thanks, chscag.

Re old copy of iDVD: Uhm, no, I don't think so. I think it was part of the iLife package which was already installed on my old Macbook. As far as I remember, I only got the grey OSX discs with the machine? Will root out the old box and double check, though.

Thanks for the tip re Burn. Yeah, I think I'll give that a go.
I've always enjoyed Roxio's products, but have spent every last penny getting this new MBP together and will have to tighten my belt for a few months. Toast may be a future purchase, but right now even bread seems expensive.

Thanks again.
Best wishes, CB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
I just downloaded that Burn software. Simple and effective..Good download Thanks! Finally got an external CD Writer, everything working again...!

First question I usually ask is: Do you still have your older copy of iDVD? If you do, it will still work in Mavericks on your new MacBook Pro. If not....

Download and install the free open source "Burn" from SourceForge. It will do all that you need with Final Cut. Of course if you want to spend some $$$, buy the latest version of Roxio Toast.

C

chas_m

Toast 12 and a bunch of really good other programs are in a bundle right now (ends this weekend) at MacUpdate Promo (mupromo.com) for $50. Might be too much for you right now, but others should grab this thing, some really great stuff in there for super cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Not bad really, only P2190 pesos....Thanks for the heads up...I'll check it out...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.