Safari blocked with malware warning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020, 8GB, 512GB, Ventura 13.2
I clicked on a link (don't remember what it was) and received a screen with a message that spoke of a security breech, malware problems, perhaps a root kit problem, with a phone number to call (1-800-219-0344). A window, seemingly from the Mavericks OS, popped up with a similar message with the phone number 1-800-274-1983. I called the number in the pop-up, was given to someone who deals with Mac, and was starting to be walked through a procedure having to do with changing something in 'Users' when I decided to terminate the process because I couldn't be sure who it was that I was dealing with. Both of the guys I spoke with had Indian accents and seemed liked they genuinely wanted to help. Does anyone know if these are legit numbers? My computer is not working properly now. Safari will open but won't respond and has to be shut down through 'force quit'.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This stuff is garbage...nothing official...it's from folks just trying to sell you stuff you don't need...and take $$$ out of your wallet!

Stop clicking on unknown links. This is one way to get yourself in real trouble! Either financially...or computer operationally.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspected it was a way to get my money. But now what do I do about unresponsive Safari?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
after clicking on the link. It wouldn't respond at all. I shut down the computer and restarted. Safari opens but then becomes unresponsive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
after clicking on the link. It wouldn't respond at all. I shut down the computer and restarted. Safari opens but then becomes unresponsive.

I was afraid of this.

If you can (I know that you said Safari wasn't responsive). Go to:

- Safari
- File menu
- Reset Safari

Maybe this will help.

- Nick

p.s. In suggesting this…I accidentally reset my Safari…which I really didn't want to do!:(

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to hear about the Safari reset. I haven't been able to reset mine yet. When I move the cursor to 'Safari' I get the spinning rainbow wheel.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to hear about the Safari reset. I haven't been able to reset mine yet. When I move the cursor to 'Safari' I get the spinning rainbow wheel.

The spinning wheel may or may not be related to Safari. I would suggest restarting/rebooting the computer. Then launch Safari…and see if things work properly.

By the way…if Safari is not working properly…how are you accessing & replying on Mac-Forums?

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using another computer. But, the Firefox on my own computer is working, also. I've already restarted the computer twice, and Safari opens but becomes unresponsive and has to be forced to quit. Now I have to go to work, so I'll have to continue this later. Thanks for the effort so far. If you've got any more ideas, I'll try them after work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using another computer. But, the Firefox on my own computer is working, also. I've already restarted the computer twice, and Safari opens but becomes unresponsive and has to be forced to quit. Now I have to go to work, so I'll have to continue this later. Thanks for the effort so far. If you've got any more ideas, I'll try them after work.

Ok…thanks for trying things.

One other idea. Download & install the free maintenance app. "Onyx". Part of what it does is clears caches, repairs permissions, runs maintenance scripts, etc. Maybe this will help eliminate the issue:

Titanium's Software • Index page

- Nick

Reaction score
Not all the time!!!

if it's a piece of nasty malware it will be there no matter what and lock you completely out of safari unless you pay or know how to remove it it's called a browser trap i have seen 26 of these this year alone the only way to fix this is backup your data and reinstall mac os x due to the severe nature of these browser traps you can end up with malware that you can't remove without zeroing the hard drive and reinstalling the o.s

Several of these tricks come from the u.k and africa and india its a phone scam where they use illegal tactics to block and control your machine i pray you where not using online banking on this machine or buying items online if you where change your bank accounts a.s.a.p because i most definitely could see them trying to get your personal information and access to your accounts.

What are browser traps:

there pop up's and fake site's that damage peoples machines on purpose in order to get money from people.

the pop ups are usually this.

Your flash player is out of date please update to the latest version.
(adobe won't use pop ups to tell you this this is a fake)

your computer has been infected with malware please download such and such software to get rid of it

(Such and such software is a malware code)

the list goes on and on.

what sucks is you cannot do anything about it and even the Fbi and police agency's have seen a rise in these traps

Reaction score
Maybe for Windows. This is a simple javascript which disables the browser.
Quit Safari. Turn off your internet (wifi or unplug). Start Safari. Close the window and open another.
Reset Safari. Download and run: The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide
This "should" clear things up.
Be careful what you click on.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have run OnyX. One thing that might be of interest was this notice:

'The kernel extension at “/System/Library/Extensions/IOACTIV.kext” is not from an identified developer but will still be loaded.
Please contact the kernel extension vendor for updated software.'

I found that IOActive.com is the site of a group that deals with "security." Nothing else of interest came from OnyX.

I also used The Safe Mac's adware removal tool (I had to download it with Firefox) but it came up with nothing.

I managed to reset Safari by doing it with the Wi-Fi off, but as soon as I turn on the Wi-Fi Safari stops responding. (Added: Safari becomes unresponsive also without the Wi-Fi being turned on.)

I do have a recent backup of the affected computer and am starting to wonder if the only, or best, solution is to do as johnodd4 suggests and wipe it clean and start over.

I'm open to any other suggestions before going that route.

Thanks to everyone. I appreciate the camaraderie. It's keeping me calm until I get this thing resolved.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I want to zero the mac, how do I do it?

Reaction score
Are you by chance using anything from Promethean Whiteboard? I have no ioactiv.kext in my System folder/extensions.
Been reading tales of Word crashing and this kext is popping up a lot.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never heard of Promethean Whiteboard. Neither has my computer (spotlight).

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not using anything from Promethean Whiteboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
<OFF TOPIC>
I saw what happened to a friend of mine who got the CRYPTO LOCKER virus on his windows machine/network. bless MACS ;-)
</ OFF TOPIC >

Reaction score
That's the only name that pops up doing a search on Google on ioactiv.kext.
May not be the problem but something to look at.

Reaction score
Try this:
Close Safari. Go to your user folder/Library/Safari and move 'LastSession.plist' to the desktop.
Start Safari. See what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.