About 1 year experience of a Windows guy with Macbook Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
I got bored and wrote this.

How I Decided To Get One
I was raised with Windows computers. I bought my first computer when the internet was not that "inter". In my town, there were only two places with internet. I bought CDs to play games etc. I heard that a new Windows version is out from the TV, not a site.
Then I got a tech magazine, I think it was PcNet. It talked about Linux. A free OS. Back in that time, nobody cared about copyright stuff especially in my town, so I already had a free OS called Windows. But it turns out I was on my way to be a tech enthusiast, and I said "Why not?" and installed it.
A whole different world. But I couldn't play Fifa. So... Back to Windows.
This Linux made me think about other OS. Mac OS. I read about it, the debates always ended in the same way: "It's cool and all but, 1- You can't play games, 2- Who has the money to buy an Apple product?" I always found them right.
Anyway...
Last year, about the time when I felt that an intense gaming session is not my thing anymore, and I had to study a little more to save my future, I and my roommate were thinking to move. The first thing I thought was "How the **** are we going to move my computer?" A 5+1 surround sound system, a huge monitor, and a huge and very heavy computer case. These all combined, and while we were having a tea, in a moment of silence, I sipped my tea, and I said "I'm gonna sell my computer and buy a laptop."
I admit that was a rush decision, but being the weird guy I am, I followed it. Sold my computer. Looked for a laptop. Since the portability was the reason to sell my computer, I was on the market for a 13" computer. Ultrabooks were out, but I was waiting for Haswell. They did not come to my town and my friend told me to check Macbook Air out.
Now, this is a really big step for me. I was not only changing my computer style (desktop to laptop), I was also going to change my fondly loved OS, because I could play Fifa. I always liked the look of Apple products, except for iPhone. So that was not an issue, actually. I went there, checked it out. Loved it, except for Mac OS. The sneaky salesman sensed this and showed me the BootCamp. I was relieved that the tool which I wasn't going to use to this day, was there. "I always can use them both and can delete Mac OS if I hate it!"
I always heard people saying "You pay extra for Macbook, but it's more durable than any other one". Because this was my final computer buying until the end of the university, I liked the idea of not trying to fix my computer now and then, or maybe not replacing it.
"Shut up and take my money" I said.

My Experience with Macbook Air
I brought it home, and I was trying to use it. I am a freelance translator. My phone rang, and it told me that I have a translation project. That was the best time to test this thing. I installed Office for Mac, and started to work.
After 5th minute or so, I had to use the Delete button. I looked at every single button on the keyboard. It was not there. Okay, there was Backspace, but why is there no Del? I freaked out. But I calmed down, and started to search internet. I went to a forum, some former Windows, new Mac OS guy asked the same question to the community. And he got some insulting, some cruel jokes, and the answer. Fn+Backspace.
Not very long after that, I had to right click. I was pressing the right bottom side of the trackpad, which I was referring as touchpad. It took only a moment for me to realize that no matter what I do, it'll click left. But it took me longer to accept that. Again, went online, learnt that.
Then I started to have some hardware problems. Nobody had a solution. I won't get into details of this, but now it's fixed. I had to live 4-5 months knowing that I am using a faulty computer. The computer they told me that is more durable than others.
Now I really like my computer. It's light, it's small, it looks good. It's like a decoration item in my room, not like a computer, when I close the lit. I LOVE IT.

My Experience with Mac OS
Hate it. Or at least that's what I'm thinking. But I really can't give you a reason why I hate it.
Okay, there's one. I spent more than 10 years, knowing that I can improve my computer's performance just with some tweaks. I can't do that on Mac. No registry to fiddle with.
No BIOS to over clock my hardware, but this is more like a Macbook Air thing, right?
It makes me miss my phone. My Android phone. I love getting updates. With Mac OS, it feels like nobody cares about their apps or the OS itself. I rarely get updates and this upsets me.

But it doesn't make me miss Windows. But Steam does. Apparently, I still love gaming, and I got steam. I have 120 games on it, and only 50 of them are on Mac OS. And due to 128 GB limit, I only have 10 of them on my computer. I got a Wine wrapper of Steam. I'm considering to copy it into an external disk, and use the rest of the games I would like to have on my computer from that wrapper.

To sum up, I really don't know if I love or hate Mac OS. Sometimes I miss Windows because of gaming and tinkering possibilities, other times I like Mac OS because if I want, I can focus on my work, easily. I just wish I had more storage and use bootcamp to decide which one I really like.

Present Day
I love having a really portable computer at my disposal. I love how most of my Windows using friends can't take a walk in my private files and folders. I love how they are really reluctant to use my computer without me being there, because they are afraid they might break it.
I like how this is an experience that doesn't force me to use other Apple products, but somehow encourages to do so. I would be able to read a book from an iPad then keep reading it from the page I left on my Macbook. Integration of iOS and Mac OS is going to be great, but I really don't see myself with an iPhone. And I only say "Maybe" for an iPad, because let's face it, Galaxy Note phones are good phones and good tablets.
So it feels bad that I won't be able to use this kind of integration, but that's fine.

Overall
I think I like having this computer. Will my next one be another Macbook? I don't know. Will I decide to go with Apple if I want a desktop? No. Will I get an iPhone? No, after I saw what my friend had to do to do the same thing I do in 1 minute. Maybe there was a learning curve he didn't want to climb, but I don't know, I love messing around with my phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
An interesting post from a person with experience on both platforms. Or all three, if I read it right. Now, for my 67 cents worth (inflation means that 2 cents isn't what it was.)

What you are calling a flaw, in the Windows tradition of fiddling, is OSX's strength. It works out of the box with very few overnight panic messages about installing this update asap. But, do not believe that OSX cannot be tweaked. You probably know that OSX came from BSD, which is Unix and is far more "tweakable" than Windows ever thought of being. That being said, you will need to know a considerable amount about Unix in general before you begin, unless you have a Mac that is not critical, and can be restored when you kill it. Don't start with your Air that you are doing real work on.

As to a lack of registry, that is a MAJOR advantage of OSX. Why MS decided to put a main point of failure in their OS is beyond me.

Steam and gaming, you are right. Even a Mac Fanboy would probably have a Win system if he is a fanatic gamer. That might change in the future, but for now most heavy games are in the domain of Winders.

Now, if you miss hacking inside the box, then Linux is made to order. EVERYTHING in the OS is open - change what you want, rewrite it, delete it. Or put 14 different distros on the same hard drive. If it can be changed, hacked or redone, it can be done with Linux.

Now as to your regretting that OSX apps are not hit with updates all the time - well, I don't understand your reasoning. The perfect app works on version 1.0 and needs no fixes. In time, additions will take it to 2.0 and on, but any program that is constantly hit over and over by updates wasn't written properly the first time.

Now, as to criticizing the Macbook Air, I am fairly certain that there is a Federal law against that. Or at least zoning rules that say you have to be outside the city limits to speak against it. I consider it the most perfect system made yet, and on occasion, I have forgotten to take my wallet, or my coat, or even my wife, but my car won't start unless it detects the Air in the passenger seat.:D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Now as to your regretting that OSX apps are not hit with updates all the time - well, I don't understand your reasoning. The perfect app works on version 1.0 and needs no fixes. In time, additions will take it to 2.0 and on, but any program that is constantly hit over and over by updates wasn't written properly the first time.

What a perfect statement!:) Like you mentioned…an app (version 1.0) if well written...would need no updates (or VERY few) until the newer version 2.0 is released. The more updates an app. needs…the worse it was probably written (or not tested enough before release) in the first place.

It was probably also rushed into release by the non-technical types in a company…so definitely not the fault of the folks writing it…or testing it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
..... Now, as to criticizing the Macbook Air, I am fairly certain that there is a Federal law against that. Or at least zoning rules that say you have to be outside the city limits to speak against it. I consider it the most perfect system made yet, and on occasion, I have forgotten to take my wallet, or my coat, or even my wife, but my car won't start unless it detects the Air in the passenger seat.:D

Hey, nice to know I am not the only one who always makes sure my Mac Air is strapped in the seat before I leave. And I am sure there is a Federal Law against dissing the AIr!

I too, have been a long time Windows user and a recent Mac switcher - a little over a year. I will never go back to a Windows laptop again - unless Apple completely mucks up the product line and OS which I hope never happens. I have to use Windows on my desktop - for now. But I look forward to the day I can afford a Mac Pro.

I hate the constant updates for Windows. I alway have to check what the update will do. I have had a number of times updates made my computer inoperable. The one that came in today had two know issues already as a result of applying the update. Really, I don't need the hassles so I don't find anything exciting about frequent updates. (Did I mention I am also an IT and have to deal with this issue on all the office computers.) I guess I don't quite see all your issues with the updates.

I am not a gamer but I do understand the attraction and it is a valid one. As for tweeking, that requires learning the underbelly of OS X. I love the challenge of learning. I do not miss the lack of malware and that is the biggest problem I have with Windows. It is a constant problem.

Just my thoughts.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Hello everyone!

I am another long time Windows user since the Win3.1 days. I had become disillusioned with MS after the Win8 debacle and the fact they refuse to release a SP2 for Win7. For a year or two I ran Linux on my machines (mainly Ubuntu and Fedora).

Last month after listening to a radio personality who happens to praise Apple products on his show for months I finally decided to take the plunge. The main reason I haven't gotten into Apple before was mainly price but after purchasing the MBA I can see why it is justified. I have never owned such a well built computer (and a beautiful one at that) and am extremely happy with it. (I have seen You Tube videos with people chopping cucumbers and even an apple with a MBA but I would never do that with my beautiful machine!)

Since then I bought a refurbed Airport Extreme and I connected a 500GB 2.5" drive I had laying around to use for the Time Machine backups. Then a week ago I purchased my first iPhone, a 5s, because of the things I will be able to do with it and the MBA when Yosemite and iOS8 comes out. Sometime next year I plan to purchase an iMac to replace my aging homemade Quad 6600 I built in '08. Then I will be completely Apple-fied :D

Mitch

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
C

chas_m

Thanks for the posts from the ex-Windows users! I do find it fascinating that one of the main complaints from the OP is that he doesn't have to do a lot of extra work to maintain or update his computer! This is a good example of "Windows thinking."

Most Mac buyers (particularly those who did not come to it from Windows) would be shocked at the notion! I'm supposed to MANAGE this thing? To CUSTOMIZE it? To READ A MANUAL?? :D

It's just not our priority. I acknowledge that hacking/tweaking can be fun and satisfying, but for most computer users the big priority is on reliability. This is an area where I feel the Mac really shines -- not to say you never have an issue, but that short of an actual hardware defect you're unlikely to encounter a problem that isn't user-caused or due to just not knowing how it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Thanks for the welcome, Nick :)

chas_m, it took me a long time to realize that the computer works for you and not the other way around. At one time I kind of liked the tinkering but now I just want to use my computer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I moved your post to the Switchers Hangout as it's a better place for a switching story like yours!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
Hi,
I'm just not getting this forum, do I :D Many of my posts were moved to somewhere else :)
Anyway, it appears some of the stuff I said about my computer and Mac OS sounded like complaints. They are not.
You know, when you are adapting to something else, be it better or worse than you are ditching, you find yourself complaining about the new things.

What you are calling a flaw, in the Windows tradition of fiddling, is OSX's strength. It works out of the box with very few overnight panic messages about installing this update asap. But, do not believe that OSX cannot be tweaked. You probably know that OSX came from BSD, which is Unix and is far more "tweakable" than Windows ever thought of being. That being said, you will need to know a considerable amount about Unix in general before you begin, unless you have a Mac that is not critical, and can be restored when you kill it. Don't start with your Air that you are doing real work on.

As to a lack of registry, that is a MAJOR advantage of OSX. Why MS decided to put a main point of failure in their OS is beyond me.

Steam and gaming, you are right. Even a Mac Fanboy would probably have a Win system if he is a fanatic gamer. That might change in the future, but for now most heavy games are in the domain of Winders.

Now, if you miss hacking inside the box, then Linux is made to order. EVERYTHING in the OS is open - change what you want, rewrite it, delete it. Or put 14 different distros on the same hard drive. If it can be changed, hacked or redone, it can be done with Linux.

Now, as to criticizing the Macbook Air, I am fairly certain that there is a Federal law against that. Or at least zoning rules that say you have to be outside the city limits to speak against it. I consider it the most perfect system made yet, and on occasion, I have forgotten to take my wallet, or my coat, or even my wife, but my car won't start unless it detects the Air in the passenger seat.:D

I'm not calling any of the stuff I mentioned as flaws. Maybe, maybe I said that, but I did not mean that.
It's just you miss the old days you know... I had a 80 GB HDD when people were talking about 500 GB ones. I used to take my time to delete unnecessary files to open some space. Then I got a 500 GB HDD. First few days were boring, as I did not have to delete anything. It's like this.

It's very natural that you don't understand my reasoning behind the complaints, because they are not logical.
For instance, I had to do some registry tweaking to make my computer perform better. But actually, I shouldn't have to do that, right? I mean, if it can perform better just by changing some keys, why the **** would you not make them default?
But it was Windows, and I liked the idea of making my PC better without paying anything.

Thanks for the posts from the ex-Windows users! I do find it fascinating that one of the main complaints from the OP is that he doesn't have to do a lot of extra work to maintain or update his computer! This is a good example of "Windows thinking."

Most Mac buyers (particularly those who did not come to it from Windows) would be shocked at the notion! I'm supposed to MANAGE this thing? To CUSTOMIZE it? To READ A MANUAL?? :D

It's just not our priority. I acknowledge that hacking/tweaking can be fun and satisfying, but for most computer users the big priority is on reliability. This is an area where I feel the Mac really shines -- not to say you never have an issue, but that short of an actual hardware defect you're unlikely to encounter a problem that isn't user-caused or due to just not knowing how it works.
That was kind of my point. I still couldn't get rid of Windows thinking. That's like in my DNA, and I'm waiting for it to mutate.
Now, if you didn't use Mac, and got a computer, then tweak it to see it improve vastly, you'd REALLY understand my satisfaction.

I was never a "read the manual before using" guy. Maybe that's why I still miss Windows time to time. I found out everything I know about Windows, Linux and computers by myself. Google was not around when I had to do those stuff. Maybe, Windows still has the power to take me back to childhood, where I was happy :)
It was like exploring a new land, from where you sit. Nobody can deny this, if they learnt it the way I did.

BUT, if I missed Windows that much, or I hated Mac OS, I assume I'd probably be writing this post from Windows, right? :)

Most of the things I mentioned are not "frustrations". I loved computers. Still do, but I was in love with them. The frequent updates made me feel like the way Apple enthusiasts feel when iOS is bumped from 6 to 7, or 7 to 8. I loved computers that much.
As a kid, I also loved the process of formatting my computer, then hassling with the drivers, then reinstalling the software I needed from CDs; Clicking "Next" with my nearly non-existent English back in the day.
I remember the time I installed Linux and somehow disabled Windows partition :) My dad took it to a repair store, the guy couldn't even format it, he took it back, I thought "What Linux caused can only be fixed by Linux" and fixed the issue. THE SATISFACTION. Imagine that. I was 12 or so.
And ****, the time I discovered BIOS... I had to remove the battery on the mainboard to fix my computer lol.
Replacing my graphics card for the first time, and getting nothing on the screen :) This is a happy memory, because I didn't plug the monitor.

But these were fun when I had the time. Now I don't. This is why Mac OS makes sense. Not the stability, not the ease of use, not the visuals. It's not like I don't like those. I love those. But it's like how it was my transition from 80 GD HDD to a 500 GB HDD, I just want to empty the bin sometimes, you know.

It's not hating Mac OS, it's still having feelings for Windows (Dude, that... That sounds weird.)

I just miss the old days I guess.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No harm was meant by moving your post. The Lounge is for general discussion. Switchers Hangout if for stories like yours. We try and keep things organized for easy finding later.

Again Thanks for your post and the move was not to hurt you but help others see your post!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(I have seen You Tube videos with people chopping cucumbers and even an apple with a MBA but I would never do that with my beautiful machine!)
Mitch

SAY WHAT!? That's a new one on me.

In fact, anyone who eats over or around my MBA are going to get themselves chopped. Must be some strange Mac owners in the world:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
mesut, I completely understand your posts. I used to love to tinker around the OS myself but in my advanced years it really doesn't appeal to me anymore. I guess a couple of years using Linux weaned me from the Windows mindset. No more defragging, anti viruses, etc.

After I bought my MBA I went to install my HP D110 wireless printer on it. I went into Printers and Scanners and it found my printer right away and installed it. It did mention that it had to download something for the scanner part but after that it worked perfectly. A lot more streamlined than the Windows installation.

Mitch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
SAY WHAT!? That's a new one on me.

In fact, anyone who eats over or around my MBA are going to get themselves chopped. Must be some strange Mac owners in the world:D

Watch this only if you have a strong stomach :p

[edit] Having problems posting link, Google "Youtube macbook air cucumber" and you will see it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012; mac mini early 2014; old mac mini running centos; new macbook air; iPad;iPhone
As someone who started with a Mac 128k, and have worked with Novell, Windows 3.0-8.1, Fedora 20-Centos and back to Mac 10.9 suggest that the hardware and operating systems can do many things well for many people; where each has it's own niche can provide more value added. I have trouble with the evangelistic approach that ONE is Better than another, or that ALL people should USE (fill in the blank)

Enjoy what you've got, use what you have, appreciate what gets the job done for YOU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly my situation

And mine. Except that I started back in 8080 days where you built everything by starting with a handful of sockets, chips and wire. And when finished, you had to write your own "OS". Man, it was fun in those days.

Then along came the PC, and nothing was more enjoyable than bringing home some unnamed adapter card and hacking for days trying to make it work.

Then, Linux hit the scene, and now you could work for months trying to understand the insides of the OS, and not at all upset when you croaked it and had to reload.

But now, it is a tool that I want to plug in (like a microwave) and use without hassle.

Times, they do change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
My journey into computing began in '85 when I signed up for the NRI correspondence course in computer repair. They sent pieces of a computer every week to put together and at the end of the course you had a complete computer. It was a Sanyo MBC 550 with a 8088 3.6Mhz processor, 128K RAM, and a 5 1/4 drive. It wasn't fully IBM compatible, something about that the Sanyo used different video addresses than the IBM if I remember right. Ahhh, sweet memories...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.