Testing

Reaction score
I tried to make two posts yesterday and neither posted. Tried writing "Contact" and no reply. I'm logged in.

My questions had to do with Force Quit. I've been having a bit of troubles lately.. mostly Router issues. But yesterday, I thogutht I had a router issue.. turned off router.. turned on router.. same problem So, I wanted to do a full reboot... turn everything off and then start the turn on process.. Well, I couldn't even turn off the computer.. I just got the pinwheel. This happened to me once before.. few months ago.

I understand it is best to shut everything down by clicking "shut down". If that doesn't work, click Force Quit. Well, that didn't work. Is there another way or do I simply hit the Off button on the back of the iMac?

I have the latest OSX updates and the latest Safari updates. I also use CCleaner for Mac to keep cookies n junk cleaned out.

Any help appreciated. I hope this posts.

Bill

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The information you posted is all over the place. How about focusing on one thing at a time…describing things in detail…and we will try as best as we can to help.

Additionally…tell us what:

- Model Macintosh you have.
- What OS version is installed.
- How much ram.
- How full the hard drive is (gigs used & gigs free).

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Sorry Nick.. I thought the stuff was worth noting

The main question is.. Is there a "proper way" to turn off the computer if "Shut Down" and "Force Quit" don't work.

IMac 27" Mid 2010
4GB memory
OSX 10.9.4

HD
Available 938 + GB
Capacity 999+ GB

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The main question is.. Is there a "proper way" to turn off the computer if "Shut Down" and "Force Quit" don't work.

Thanks for the information…and the more concise post!:)

If you are unable to use the "Shut Down" or "Force Quit" commands…the only other way I know of to turn the computer off (without pulling the plug)…is to press & hold down the power button for a few seconds.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks Nick.. Since this has happened a couple of times and I'm not computer literate.. What might be a reason(s) that this happens. It happened about 4-5 months ago. I don't keep much open at once.. websites or any programs/utilities. Nothing that I'd consider intensive.. say like spreadsheets or Photoshop, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I would suggest giving Titanium's Onyx a shot. This app will repair permissions AND clean out the caches, cookies and junk. It is a fantastic app and many on this forum use it. Be sure to get the correct version for your OS...and give the guy a donation. I sugggest selecting everything under Automation and then Execute. I have never used CCleaner for Mac, but I feel Onyx is probably more thorough. After you run Onyx, I would then zap the PRAM and NVRAM. Let us know how this works out for you.

OP
I
Reaction score
I believe I have Onyx on my computer but have never used it. I'll give it a try.

I have no idea what or how PRAM and NVRAM are.. nor how to zap them :D

OP
I
Reaction score
I just downloaded the version for my "Maverick" OS.. When I tried to open it, I got a pop up that said this is an unverified developer. I can only install apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers...

???

M

MacInWin

Go to where Onyx is located in Applications. Right click and then Open it. You'll get a message from Gatekeeper saying essentially the same thing, but gives you the opportunity to go ahead and run it. After that, you won't need to do that again, it will just run. Gatekeeper is Apple's way of making sure that only things you want to run, or that come from trusted developers through the Apple store, actually run.

PS: Onyx is a valid developer, btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you..
Still working on getting OnyX up. I think I keep choosing the wrong version. Looks like I have to go with v6 even tho I am up to date with updates...

Lisa.. that is a great reference.. thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.