MacKeeper and MacSafe - Do I need em?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the site and a recent convert to Mac, loving my Macbook Pro, iPad and iPhone but am being bombarded with offer to buy MacKeeper and/or MacSafe, do I need these utilities over and above what is already on my MacBook? It does seem to have become a tad slower than when it was new?

Kind regards,
Al

Reaction score
NO you don't need those items and you're likely better off without them.

To do a little cleanup maintenance on your Mac, many people in this forum will recommend the donation-ware, Onyx utility: Titanium's Software Index page

I also think that sometimes there is a change in perception that is involved. If you were to regularly drive much faster than you normally drive, after a while it wouldn't seem like it was that much faster than you used to drive. So when we get new computers, at first we are impressed by their quickness but as time goes by we get used to it and it becomes the norm ... and we no longer have that first impression.

Last edited:
OP
O
Reaction score
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the help and yes, it may be just a matter of perception on speed, mainly start up, however it is still many times faster than the windows pc I am forced to use for work.

Regards,
Al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do a search of the forums for the Mackeeper crapware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Do a search of the forums for the Mackeeper crapware.

@ AL - glad that you came here first before using one of these 'cleaners' - check out the forum's view on MacKeeper HERE - as already suggested Onyx is about the only maintenance program recommended. Dave :)

C

chas_m

Which is not to say that there aren't other good maintenance programs besides OnyX ... just that we KNOW that it works, and is free!

Reaction score
MacKeeper

Hello Ozalid,

Regarding your post: you can install MacKeeper. It's a good application in order to keep your Mac clean and fast. MacKeeper AntiVirus is built on Avira platform. Morover, MK has an AntiTheft feature which will help you to return your computer in case it's stolen.

Thanks a lot,
Anna

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Ozalid,

Regarding your post: you can install MacKeeper. It's a good application in order to keep your Mac clean and fast. MacKeeper AntiVirus is built on Avira platform. Morover, MK has an AntiTheft feature which will help you to return your computer in case it's stolen.

Hi Anna welcome to the forum! :) - but I suggest that you read the link in my post about MacKeeper and plan to remove the program from your computer - Dave

Reaction score
Hello Dave,

I've been using this software for 2 years and I'm very satisfied with it. And I know a lot of people who can say the same.

As any other product it has both good and bad reviews. But I like this product.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Folks....

I believe Ms. Anna Morenko is associated with the company that produces MacKeeper. So lets keep that in mind. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Folks....

I believe Ms. Anna Morenko is associated with the company that produces MacKeeper. So lets keep that in mind. ;)

Thanks Chscag for the warning - if true, a major COI - Dave :)

violent_female_warning_sign_large.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.