Mac users - viewing another imac?

Reaction score
A friend of mine who has an imac is helping me to get up to speed...given I am just coming over from pc. Is there any software you would recommend for iMacs that allow another imac user to log on and view your screen?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks but when I go to messages and as I am messaging my friend the "share my screen with xxx" is greyed out? Does he have to be on his imac actively messaging me for that option?

Reaction score
It is important to understand a distinction ... screen sharing does not work via iMessages (texting). You both need to have an AIM, Jabber or Goggle Talk accounts (and the identities recorded in your contact information, I think). If you both have iCloud accounts setup then you already have all you need for an AIM connection ... just use <your user name>@icloud.com as an AIM account name.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Incidentally, Apple is rectifying this situation as of Yosemite (OS X 10.10, out hopefully soon). You will then be able to do screensharing without an AIM account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.