PowerPoint pics to iPhoto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 inch, Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5.Software Mac OS X Yosemite
Since changing to Maverick I can no longer Share/Send to iPhoto from Microsoft PowerPoint, I get a message that says "To use iPhoto to save your slides as images, you must have iPhoto 6 or later version installed." I have version 9.5.1 installed, any suggestions as to what I can do. I have OS X version 10.9.4

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First: Please do not cross post (posting the same question to more than one forum) as it will only cause confusion and scatters any answers you might receive. Choose the best forum to post and stay with that forum until the thread is exhausted.

Now, to your question.... Check to make sure that you do not have an older copy of iPhoto that is being generated from your Applications folder. Upgrading to Mavericks does not necessarily make the new version of iPhoto the default.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When i go to "About iPhoto" it says I'm using version 9.5.1

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When i go to "About iPhoto" it says I'm using version 9.5.1

I understand that. But have you checked to see if an older version of iPhoto still exists in your Applications folder or in a separate folder under applications? Apparently, Powerpoint is seeing an older version as the default.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way, sorry about the double posting, it was because of the confusion of how to start a new thread in this sub forum. See the "Which Forum" thread in "Switcher Hangout".

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've checked in my applications and the only iPhoto is the one that opens i.e. 9.5.1 and a Spotlight search doesn't reveal anything else.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, something else going on then. Which version of MS Office are you running? I'm going to try to experiment with Powerpoint 2011 to see if I can send photos to iPhoto 9.5.1. Right now none of my PP files have photos in them so I'll have dig one up to test with.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's version 14.4.3 Thanks for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's what I did (don't know if it will help you):

I opened a slide from a Powerpoint 2011 set that I had which contained photos and others - pictures. I open iPhoto 9.5.1 and selected "import photo" and then pointed to the slide. Have you tried doing it that way?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have an "import photo" in my iPhoto, only "import to library". When i press this it takes me to what is basically the finder page and i have no idea where to find the photos that are embedded in a power point file.
Did you try "file, share, send to iPhoto" in your powerpoint and what was the result?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should have said "import to library" (my mistake). You then have to open Powerpoint, select the slide with the photos or pictures, highlight the photo, import.

Also, let me try what you've been doing... hold on:

OK, I'm getting the same error as you're getting. It has to be either a bug in the program or it's a process that's not allowed.

Do me a favor... Go to the Microsoft Mac Office Forums and post the error there. Let's see what their experts say about it. I don't have time this morning - have to run in about 5 minutes. Let me know. (I'll be back later on this afternoon.)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still can't find the powerpoint folder or any of the files that contain photos using the method you described.
I have posted the question in the Microsoft Office Forum and will let you know what happens.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, got a reply which i have copied and pasted below.

Well you don't say what version of Office you are running and I am running the most current version of both Office and Mavericks and I can confirm that it doesn't work.
Since I never used the feature I can't tell you when it went away. Maybe someone else who is still running Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion can tell us when the feature broke. It doesn't now work with Mavericks so did it work in all of the other versions?
Being that it is broke now and most likely, if rumors can be believed, that Microsoft is possibly working on the next release of Office I doubt you will see this fixed with Office 2011. So, save the slides out as Pics and then import those pics into iPhoto... a two step operation.

I copied them to desktop, opened the folder, highlighted them and then chose open with iPhoto (it wasn't a listed option so i found it under other apps). It downloaded them into a new event and done. A bit long winded compared to the now unavailable "share" but at least it gets it done. Hopefully Microsoft will fix it but I won't hold my breath.
Thanks for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got back a bit ago and read your reply. Thanks for dogging it down from the MS Office forums. Not the answer we were looking for, but since MS is going to release Office 2014 for the Mac sometime this Fall, we'll probably have to live with the work around you were given.

Thanks again and let us know if you need anything else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.